Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice...DH and I have been rethinking our priorities lately. We both currently work ft, and although 14-month-old DS is in a GREAT home-based daycare (and fortunately I didn't have to go back to work until he was 6 months old, which made the transition a little easier, although still not ideal), I really want to be a SAHM whenever we have the next one.

We're probably going to put our house (which we only bought 1 1/2 years ago) on the market in the spring and downsize so we can afford to live on much less. But right now my income is the larger so we're trying to figure out what I might be able to do from home...thus the idea of starting a daycare.

Mind you, this is still a couple years down the road, as I would need to start the licensing process, build up some savings etc., but what do you mamas think about the idea? I would want it to be AP-friendly, but that would also mean I wouldn't be able to take very many kids (esp. babies) b/c I'd be slinging them and generally holding them a lot...you get the idea.

I guess I'm looking for interest level from AP mamas, pros and cons, general thoughts - anything that might help my thinking on the process.

Oh - and we live just outside of Mpls (northern part of Edina right by St Louis Park)

Thanks mamas!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
What would be some other things you would do? I LOVE the idea Trillium Circle has in S. Mpls. Only problem, if you were doing AP, you wouldn't have the time to do cooking, gardening with the kiddies. I think that is the reason Trillium only takes kids 18mos and older.
I like our daycare lady too, but she isn't into the whole organic foods, etc. like I am.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard of Trillium Circle...what do they do??

As far as what I would do, I'm really in the early thinking stages so I am open to suggestions!!!! I do know that I have a love for the little ones (babes and toddlers), so I would likely focus on the under-3 set, if that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can tell you that on the API Twin Cities Yahoo group there is someone seeking AP-friendly daycare almost monthly (sometimes more?)...so I think you'd have the clientelle to be full within 6mos-year.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I do daycare in my home, and I am AP friendly.
I have slung all of my kiddos from birth, but, non of my families are AP.
At least, not in the sling/no CIO sense. I have borrowed my slings to all my moms with new ones, but I don't think they ever got used. My thing, is that I print out info for all my parents that is more AP based, or natural type stuff. Like, one of my daycare kids got ear infections ALL the time, so I printed out a ton of stuff for them to read about chiropractic care, homeopathic medicines, etc. At least I can feel good about providing them with the right info.
I am thinking of printing out some anti vax stuff to send home, but nothing too puishy, simply because I'm still on the fence with vax'ing yet too.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
As one of the API leaders here in Saint Paul, I am constantly email about this very thing. You would very welcomed!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just as another view... my daycare provider is in Eagan and knows a lot of moms there. For the most part she feels their are too many moms who want to stay home to do daycare right now and the competition to keep spots full is really hard. Her kids are raised and she doesn't really know that she is AP and she is not NFL... the food is not great but the love and gentle discipline is so fantastic and she is so good to me that I can put up with a few too many fruit roll-ups. She dropped licensing because it was too expensive and not really worth much and right now is really only doing my kids for the most part so I don't care.

I would just make sure that their is a real need in your area. Although all of us want AP childcare... location is a huge issue in making it all work.

Good luck.

Maureen

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I am in need of part-time daycare in the fall, and I know others who are too, but finding one who is AP seems really hard. Maybe I am just not looking in the right places?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I looked online and Trillium Circle is not on there anymore! It was on Craigslist a few months ago. It is run by a woman and her partner that have experience as a lacatation consultant. It is "nature" based play. Invollving the kids in gardening, going to the grocery store and then making a lot of the foods together as a group. I don't think you could do these things with any children under a year and be totally functional!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think you might have more success if you took part-time kids too - I know it's hard to work out for the provider, but we really couldn't find a highly-recommended home daycare that took part-time, so we ended up going with a center (which has been just fine for us.) I do think there's more need for care under age 33 months, when the options seem to open up more.

If you want to do a market assessment, you could call the child care resource and referral agency in your county and get a sense of the licensed child care market and what the needs are. They can also help you get started with information about licensing, loans for home improvement/renovation, continuing education, etc.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the tips, ladies!

I am definitely considering taking part-time kids, and I don't think my area (Edina/St. Louis Park/So. Mpls) is at critical mass just yet with home-based daycares, esp. for the younger kids (under 3). Many of the places in my area that I called when I was looking for care for DS were eliminated immediately b/c they had no openings for infants...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noah's mom
Many of the places in my area that I called when I was looking for care for DS were eliminated immediately b/c they had no openings for infants...
I am just starting a private preschool in the TC. I did a ton of market research in the western suburb area and YES there is a need. . .especially for infants and young toddlers. You sound like you have a unique idea that hasn't been done in the TC area before and I think that many parents would love the AP style of childcare even if they are mainstream.

My advice is to do more research and more thinking. The babes and young tots are difficult to find daycare availability for a reason - 4-1 ratio. If you want to take care of less kids than that you might need to charge a hefty price in order to make money.

I love your idea. Most parents are looking for something different other than the corporate chains that dominate child care. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I found a number for Trillium on the AP - minnesota yahoo group board, and called and left a message - sounds like they are still around.

Any other AP daycares people know about, or are starting?

Thanks,
Tracy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts