Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through What to Expect the First Year (got it as a hand-me-down from a friend), and parts of it just bother me! Like this lovely quote:

Quote:
By the end of the first year, however, scientists tell us that breast milk ceases to be adequate--not only is its protein content is insufficient for the older baby, but it suffers from a decline in several vital nutrients including zinc, copper, and potassium. In the second year, infants require the nutrients in cow's milk, and the mother who is still breastfeeding should recognize that although both she and her baby may still be enjoying the experience, breast milk can't be considered a major source of nutrition for her baby. Nor do babies past a year appear to need the sucking breast feeding provides. In spite of much speculation, there's no solid evidence that nursing past the first year--or even well into the second or third or beyond--hinders a child's emotional development. But it does seem that prolonged breastfeeding, like prolonged bottlefeeding, can lead to dental decay.
:
:
:
That is such BS! How can cow's milk be BETTER for them than species specific milk?? Everyone has their own specific circumstances to consider as far as weaning their child, but it bugs me that such a popular book contains so much MISinformation!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I haven't looked at my copy of this in a while (shower gift from MIL....nice
). Anyway, I don't remember that passage, but I do remember some other things that I thought were strange. As I recall, they did a whole "pros and cons" of both BF and FF. I thought their BF cons and FF pros were weak. I guess we should just feel good that we know better!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I always wonder who "that guy" was...ya know, the guy watching a baby calf nursing at the mama cow, suckling at her droopy udders and said, "hmmm, I'm gonna get me some of THAT!".

But yeah, I've always found some of those blanket statements as odd if not funny. Soooo, if human milk is "bad" after one year, what about on day 364? Just a little rancid? What if the baby was a premie? Does the milk adjust for the baby's adjusted age?? Late babies? Same thing. That leaves a whole coupla months window either side of the magic 12 month marker for our milk to no longer be suitable for our species.
WHY would human milk not be good for humans? Why would milk made by cows for cows be preferred for humans over human milk? funny stuff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the PP. It is crap! I bought the WTE The Toddler Years at a yard sale for $1 thinking it might have some uselful info in it but I found the same stuff you're describing in the 13th month chapter. Basically saying BM was no longer any good and to start weaning now. Needless to day it wasn't a dollar well spent.
:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It blows my mind that someone would give a child milk for a baby cow and think that it is better than milk from the child's mother. Heellooo!!
:

·
Registered
505 Posts
The other thing that drives me up a wall about her books in general is that she NEVER cites sources for her "data". Which "scientists" tell us that mama's milk goes down the tubes at 12 mos????? Show me the study!!!!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I have the WTE the First Year, and I hate how much it talks about weaning! It starts talking about it in the 5 month chapter, then every single chapter or every other at least after that! Why???? Reading that book I felt like all you hear is "Do you want to wean? Did you wean yet? Are you thinking about weaning? How about weaning now?" grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUTUP about weaning!

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I usually give expectant friends The Baby Books. It still covers the developmental stuff like WTE does, but he isn't spewing crap like WTE.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
What really pisses me off about the passage is that it reads like cows milk *does* provide all the necessary nutrients. Which is complete BS!

Although, I now have a great thing to say to anyone who tries to tell me that breastmilk isn't necessary anymore. "While it's true that my breastmilk is probably not nutrionally complete anymore, I haven't found any food that *is* nutrionally complete, so I'm going to just continue feeding my child a wide variety of healthy foods."

Ugh. Can you imagine the diet of someone who rejected any food that didn't provide them all the nutrition for the day? What would they live on? Brocolli?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
Although, I now have a great thing to say to anyone who tries to tell me that breastmilk isn't necessary anymore. "While it's true that my breastmilk is probably not nutrionally complete anymore, I haven't found any food that *is* nutrionally complete, so I'm going to just continue feeding my child a wide variety of healthy foods."

Ugh. Can you imagine the diet of someone who rejected any food that didn't provide them all the nutrition for the day? What would they live on? Brocolli?
I never thought of it that way. That makes soooo much sense!
May I quote you please?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thought I'd chime in and say I agree with you all... I just looked in the WTE the toddler years to find out about teething molars (not much help) and happened across the very same passage quoted above about breastfeeding and tooth decay. That was when I realized I did not care very much for their "information." They say not to nurse baby at night after one year because it leads to childhood obesity and tooth decay, and baby doesn't need the nutrient-deficient milk. I let my 13 m.o. son nurse on demand at night, and I plan on continuing so we can all get some sleep!
Andi

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Quote:
In the second year, infants require the nutrients in cow's milk
Right...can you imagine how that evolved? Were we following cows around on the savannahs when we were still apes? Milking the primitive cow? That must be why we have domesticated cows, b/c our babies require their milk.

That doesn't make any sense!! It's like saying babies need to sleep by themselves. Can you imagine a hunter-gatherer mother leaving her baby in a separate sleeping space? She wouldn't be a very successful reproducer, but the predators in the area would sure like her!

Whenever I find a copy of any of the WTE books, I throw them in the trash. They need to be kept away from ignorant, uncertain mothers.

Why would we keep lactating if it wasn't good for the baby? Lactation is biologically very expensive. We don't do it if we don't have to (notice it only happens in the presence of stimulation?) b/c it's hard on our bodies and expensive to produce milk. So with that in mind, why do we keep producing milk that our babies don't need? Obviously our babies DO need it!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I KNEW I had good reason to toss that book! I never read it after I actually HAD a baby! We wonder why so many moms don't understand the importance of breastfeeding when they are reading crap like that!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have to say that with my dd now 13 I ate up the WTE pregnancy and 1st year books, and I co-slept, extended bf, had a drug-free labor (in a hospital), etc. I honestly do not think these books are THAT bad. True, I disagree about their weaning perspective, but even reading that when I was a 16 year old mama I just rolled my eyes. It just didn't ring true, ya know? But they are also strong advocates of healthy/natural eating, I DO think they said that a natural birth was best, they were just explaining all of the options, same with bf'ing. Anyway, just thought I would point out that there are far WORSE options out there...and btw, I never even read the Dr. Sears books until my ds who is now 1 (though I did get my hands on some mothering mags) and yet all of my children have been AP'd - figure that out - guess it is the natural way after all!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thats exactly why I cover up the huge WTEWYE display at B&N with bfing and natural birth books.
I was in the pregnancy section a few weeks ago and a woman had that book and asked me what I thought of it, in a casual way, like "This is pretty good, I should get it, right?" I told her it was terrible and offered her Birthing From Within.
Those books are full of fear and misinformation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts