Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you thank you thank you!! I bought an over-the-door shoe organizer, the pocket kind--this thing has revolutionized our lives! It's got 24 spots arranged in 6 rows of 4 which is *perfect* because there are 6 of us--everyone has a row, kids at the bottom, for hats, scarves, gloves/mittens--WE CAN FIND WHAT WE NEED WHEN WE NEED IT!!!! I am SO HAPPY!

I also gained half a shelf of space in the top of that closet simply by pitching all my DVD cases and putting the DVDs in a little book that sits on top of the entertainment center, then I put the VHS tapes in the space under it figuring they really can't hurt those. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

AND--I have majorly decluttered my dishes cupboard, giving me space to have a set of matching drinking glasses for use when we have guests! (The less dishes we own, the more I will have to wash rather than pile
)

Now....anybody want to tell me how I can organize the pile of art stuff that has been living on top of my freezer? I thought about utilizing that half-shelf of closet space....but I'd ideally like to keep it closer to where I actually use it (dining room table) but I really have no cabinet space for it.....I'd like it to not look like a freakin disaster. (I also have some more 'outdoor' kind of stuff that could go in that closet, which is full of coats, all the winter gear, it's the "going out" closet. makes more sense to somehow store the summer stuff I don't need to currently access in a box there and swap it with the winter gear in a couple months.

I need it easily grabb-able, organized by what I want them to have based on the level of supervision I want to provide (so scissors and glue in some sort of container I *only* pull out when the baby's asleep and I can join them.)

Right now, all the paper is a disastrous pile, the playdough stuff has a basket and the other stuff has a basket but it's a jumbled mess.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I love this forum too! I have one of those shoe holders for our mittens and I agree that it is the best thing I've done for organizing my house!

About art supplies. How about buying a couple of magazine holders for the paper? It will keep the paper nice and still be accessible. Maybe some baskets for the other things?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60086604
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50022354

I keep our glue and scissors on a high shelf in my linen closet so only I can get at it.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooohhh I am liking that so much better than my current jumbled pile of crap that NEVER stays clean! (though I am debating wicker baskets...while I love the *look* I'm wondering if they're going to hold up to kids, possible moving, etc etc.)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My solution showed up WITHOUT adding any extra "stuff" or spending any money!

I had to move some baskets out of the freezer because DH went and slaughtered a sheep.

The baskets got papered with the children's scribble-covered paper (so 'stuff' can't fall out the holes) and repurposed as a crayon basket and a "mommy's participating" basket. (Stuff I do not let a 5, 3, and 1 year old use without my direct supervision, like scissors, glue, tape--because they will use it ALL--paint, etc.)

that let my 'big basket' be a paper basket.

AND THEY ALL STACK IN ONE NICE PILE
I didn't know I could get so excited about organizing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.