Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the big story on one of our local news stations. Remember immunization is voluntary here in Canada:<br><br><a href="http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/$All/3B5FFCEBDA9072ED852572B400548C42?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web...2?OpenDocument</a><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">April 5, 2007<br><br><br>
Enforcement of Immunization of School Pupils Act<br>
Elementary and Secondary School Grades<br><br>
Waterloo - Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act, Region of Waterloo Public Health (ROWPH) is required to maintain the immunization records of all students in the region. ROWPH ensures that immunization coverage rates of students in Waterloo region are optimized to protect students against vaccine preventable diseases.<br><br>
"Enforcing the law ensures that children in our Region are protected against vaccine preventable diseases," said Lesley Rintche, Manager of the Immunization and Vaccine Preventable Disease Program. Rintche reminds parents that it is their responsibility -- not the school's or doctor's office -- to provide proof of immunization or exemption directly to Public Health.<br><br>
To alert parents and students of the requirements of the Act, letters were mailed to high school students in February requesting immunization record updates. Public Health held immunization clinics in all high schools in the region to update students, however, a number of students still have incomplete records.<br><br>
On April 30, 2007, Public Health will begin enforcing the Immunization of School Pupils Act within the secondary school population. Students with incomplete immunization records may face suspension from school for up to 20 days.<br><br>
Beginning in April, parents of elementary school students with incomplete immunization records will receive a letter in the mail encouraging parents to check their child's immunization records to ensure they are up to date and on file at Public Health. With proper legal documentation, students can be exempt from immunization based on medical or philosophical reasons.<br><br>
On June 12, 2007, the same enforcement process will take place for elementary grade students who do not have complete records or legal exemption on file at Public Health. Students with incomplete immunization records may face suspension from school for up to 20 days.<br><br>
Parents may contact their health care provider to obtain immunization records and/or immunization. For those without a family physician, ROWPH offers immunization clinics in their Waterloo and Cambridge. Parents may make an appointment by calling 519-883-2006 ext. 5273.<br><br>
Parents may call 519-883-2006 ext. 6182 to leave immunization information for their child, or they may email information to <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>. Immunization information may also be faxed to 519-885-7260.<br><br>
- 30 -<br><br>
Media contact: Lesley Rintche, Manager, Immunization and Vaccine Preventable Disease, 519-883-2006, ext. 5351.</td>
</tr></table></div>
This makes it sound like it's illegal if you don't vaccinate your children.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Actually, I think it's totally the opposite, I think this is a decent article.... It mentions exemptions twice, once in the top section ***Rintche reminds parents that it is their responsibility -- not the school's or doctor's office -- to provide proof of immunization or exemption directly to Public Health.****<br>
And then again at the bottom, with details as to which types of exemptions are available ***With proper legal documentation, students can be exempt from immunization based on medical or philosophical reasons.<br>
***<br><br>
Here in the states, "helpful reminders" such as this one almost NEVER EVER make ANY mention whatsoever of exemptions.....again, I think this article was actually really decent..??....

·
Registered
22 Posts
DH and I always roll our eyes right around "back to school" time when all the news anchors are reminding parents "No shots, no school." They don't even mention exemptions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel though that even though they mention exemptions it makes it sound like you have to have a Dr's note or something. I was talking to a friend of mine with 3 boys aged 22, 20 & 16 & she said she can remember the school threatening not to give marks until you were up to date on vaxes. All the kids ran out to update their cards to get their marks. My friend said she had no idea she didn't have to vaccinate. No one told her you have a choice. She thought there had to be a medical reason. She said if she had known, she would have declined for her sons. She knows better now for her 16 year old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts