Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since yesterday afternoon, I've had this horrible sharp stabbing pain on the back of my head on the left side. It keeps coming and going like someone is stabbing me about five times a minute. I went to the docter, the ER (CT is clean) and tried three different medications including morphine. Nothing helped. I don't know when I'll be able to see a chiropractor next since I'm out of town. I'm sitting here crying because it hurts so bad and nothing is helping.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? The ER doc thought it might be neuralgia of some kind. I'll try anything at this point. DS can have baby food because if this pain doesn't stop I'm going to throw myself out a window somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
oh
s mama! did the ER give you anything? i know for me a hot bath in the dark helps... can you look in the yellow pages for a chiropractor near where you are.

i hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I just had it a few weeks ago, including a stabbing pain in the ear. The best I could come up with was occipital neuralgia. I was having some other neuralgia problems as well, and that plus a bout of really severe vertigo sent me to the doc for some blood tests, which came back as hypothyroidism. I'm on meds for that now, and if the bizarre pain never comes back, I will attribute it to the thyroid.

Mine lasted 3 bad days and one not-so-bad day. Advil round the clock, hot showers, and rest helped. Hope you feel better soon.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/o...lneuralgia.htm

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Addy's Mom, the hot shower this morning did help for a bit. I'm trying to find a chiropractor and/or acupuncurist that can fit me in today. The hcp I went to yesterday did take some blood so I'll call her and ask if she found anything there. If there was something wrong with my thyroid, how would that affect breastfeeding? My 5 m/o is EBF.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Try an ice pack also. Sometimes that works better for me than heat. I would definitely get into the chiro if you can. So sorry, sounds miserable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so so much everyone for the tips. Addy's Mom, I found that the description of the occipital neuralgia was spot on for me.
I fixed it by going to a chiropractor today who also does acupuncture, then getting an hour long massage. I feel sooo much better. The ice pack was also the only thing that helped at all before I went there. So thanks everyone and I hope if anyone else goes through this that they'll know what to do!

Now I just have to destress so my neck muscles don't get so tense that they try to kill me...

·
Registered
9,053 Posts

I would rec high dose magnesium: such as transdermal mag. oil or epsom salts baths. Dr. Carolyn Dean's book 'Magnesium Miracle' is great.

Do you eat MSG, preservatives, artificial sweeteners... all have been implicated in this type of pain.

I used to have a chronic pain disorder too, it was really really horrible. I hope you can find some relief.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.