Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 month old DS has a bad chest cold and we just saw our doc today. Actually, we saw a new doc we have not seen before. She's a naturopath so it's mostly good advice but at one point she said to make sure I give him sips of water all day so he stays hydrated. I said, "Oh he still breastfeeds alot so breastmilk would keep him hydrated and be better, right?" She sort of gave me a weird look and repeated that I should give him sips of water all day.

My DS nurses almost every hour so isn't that enough? He doesn't need water right? Wouldn't that make him less thirsty for breastmilk and then he'd miss out on the good antibody help while he's sick? Or am I wrong here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought. I think maybe this doc hasn't encountered a breastfed toddler before or didn't realize how much my DS nurses (he still not much for solids). He nurses a lot AND I've been offering a lot more too while he's sick.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If he's nursing hourly, sounds like he's getting lots of fluid. But I think it's well within good breastfeeding practice to offer water to a child once they are on solids. Someone in another thread pointed out that they have a 4.5 year old nursling...of course she drinks things other than breastmilk! As does my 3 year old. 17 months is plenty old enough to add water to the mix...but if he's getting lots of breastmilk (make sure YOU drink plenty!) then he's probably fine that way too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I agree that water cant hurt at this point if he is eating lots of solids. Breastmilk is liquid but its also full of carbs, fat, protein, etc... Maybe she wants him to have some straight hydration that just goes thru him to help loosen up the goop.

Once my kids were on solid foods they always had access to a cup of water. For me at least, sometimes I just want water.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I should have mentioned in my original post that my DS is not much into solids yet. He did not start really trying foods until he was 15 months. He's warming up to them but still is mostly breastfed.

Be he does know what water is and asked for it (or rather signs for it) when he wants some and I do not limit him. I just thought that since he is sick and still mostly nurses, that breastmilk might be best for him.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beingmommy View Post
I just thought that since he is sick and still mostly nurses, that breastmilk might be best for him.
And you're absolutely right: it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.