Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what opinion to make of it. I think they were honestly trying to be a bit more fair-handed than that Boston Globe report because first of all it's not associating anti-cosleeping beliefs to a particular horrible situation, and second of all, they do address the pros of cosleeping and do give tips for doing it safely. But still lacking is a comparison between all infant sleeping deaths (just lists those resulting from infants being placed on an adult bed...also doesn't include a rundown of other variables, like parent sobriety and type of mattress or bedding) and still with a slant toward not having your baby in bed. Sigh.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/pre...osleeping.html

JET

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah, this one's not too bad, as these things go. I agree with you, I wish they would break it down a little more as far as the detailed causes of the infant deaths. Because cosleeping is so controversial here, there's not enough good information in the mainstream about how to do it safely, and since it seems a lot of parents cosleep at least once in a while, safety guidelines are not necessarily adhered to. I saw a show last year about a woman whose babies kept dying; the medical examiner finally figured out the pattern - she had let the babies sleep with her on a night she'd been drinking; also she was very overweight. It just never occurred to her that sleeping with them under these conditions would be unsafe. She thought there was something genetic going on that was causing her babies to die before they reached a year old.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.