Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I was doing some research on Natural Medicines and ran across this website. If you scroll all the way down to "Buyer Beware: Chinese Herbal Medicine". Is there any merit to this?

Quote:
Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine has been practiced for thousands of years and still today, many species of animals are being tortured and killed for their superstitious potions and voodoo remedies.
Chinese Herbal Medicines

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Well, yes and no.

No, I would not say that Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on superstition. There is a tradition of recording individual cases and the effects of herbs. These herbs have been shown to have effects on the body (some of them really strong!) and so I can't agree that using them is superstitious. I would also not use the word "voodoo" as a pejorative. Voodoun is a religious system that is not practiced in China.

Yes, I think that it is traditional to use animal ingredients in Chinese medicine, some of which may come from endangered species. I think some of this comes from the general herbal "doctrine of similars" (isn't that what it's called?) where you use plants that look like the organ you are treating. When I have been to a Chinese herbalist, I have specified that I am a vegetarian and that I don't want any animal ingredients in my herbal prescription. There is an excellent herbalist in my area and he accomodates this specification.

I would say further that you should not take Chinese herbs without the prescription of a qualified herbalist with a good reputation. They are effective, it is true, and they have side effects, just like Western medication. The whole reason to go to an herbalist is that they understand how to balance the effects of herbs in combination. Please be very careful, herbs are effective!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I have no doubt as to the effectiveness of herbal medicines! They are mostly what I use in my own home. Maybe just seeing it all laid out the way that he had laid them out was a bit of an overload for my sleep fogged, not enough coffee, morning brain! Thank you for responding!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts