Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. My name is Laura (for those of you who don't know me!) I am researching homebirth. Dh and I are going to TTC sometime late 03-beginning of 04. I really would like a homebirth and am doing all the research I can now so that I can present it to dh during the pregnancy and begin the long process of convincing him that it's a safe and wonderful way to go about childbirth. I will probably want a midwife though...don't know if I have the guts to go unassisted...though maybe oneday! Anyway, I have stumbled across this website and was wondering if it were a good source of information. Has anyone read it or would be willing to spend a few moments to read it to help educate a mama (me
).

For the mods...this is not my website...actually, I really don't know who it belongs to
!

Unhindered Living

Thanks ladies, In advance!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've known Judie Rall (the woman who runs the site) for a few years and think she has a lot of good things to say (all of my babies were born unassisted). I posted one of Judie's lovely birth fantasies on my site (but I don't think I can post the link here because of Mothering's new policy).
Laura

·
Registered
10,400 Posts

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I think Judie has a lot of good stuff to say too, but I disagree with her on some things, and she leaves a lot of stuff out. If you have specific questions about anything you read there (or anywhere else!) ask them here! I think that will get you a lot more responses.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Another really good website is Birthlove.com. Sorry, but I don't know how to post a link. But they have a ton of information and birth stories on all kinds of births--hospital, home, midwife, unassisted, you name it! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!!! I really, really need all my ducks in a row before I approach dh, who is probably as mainstream as they come and thinks that women 'need' a doctor to deliver their babies (like the doctor does the delivery
: )

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I was going to suggest some of the links Devrock posted.

You might be surprised at your husband's response. My husband isn't exactly what I'd call "mainstream", but I was a little nervous about telling him that I'd decided on a homebirth 24 weeks into the game this time. We'd talked about it theoretically, but I made the decision alone on the way home from my last ob appointment.

Try to keep the information you present to him concise and unbiased. The emotional and spiritual side of a homebirth is important, but he is probably more concerned with your safety. Convince him that it is safe. Deprogramming a lifetime of misinformation about pregnancy and childbirth can be difficult, but the reward is well worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Hey, Laura Shanley can't post a link to her own site! What is the world coming to!?!? But, thankfully I can post it for her.

Here is the fantasy birth she mentioned. Judie's is the last one.
http://www.freebirth.com/fantasies.htm

And, since Laura can't toot her horn, I will. I really like freebirth.com. There is a huge resource of information that confirms the power and ability of the body to give birth. Yay, Laura!
http://www.freebirth.com/

Justice2, you might want to begin talking to your husband about homebirth before you TTC. Before getting pregnant with my son I always told DH I would have my babies at home. It gave him time to prepare and he knew where I stood on it before we ever chose to have a child.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I thought the site was pretty good.I did follow some of the prental recommendations since I did my own.One other page I found useful was
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/

I agree,talk to dh about it now.Ofcourse some dh's just never change their mind about homebirth=dangerous(like mine),but a good mw can also help with that.You can go and talk to a few before getting pregnant(and to get pricing). I had a UC with my first,and I have to say I really prefer birthing that way but did hire a mw for dh the second time around.

sara

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.