Wow - thanks for posting this. We own a lot of this stuff and definitely purchased it between those dates. And my daughter put that stuff in her mouth all the time!
Does anyone know if lead poisoning would show symptoms immediately? Or is this something I will have to worry about later on? It's been about 6-8 months since she has put all the toys in her mouth since she has outgrown that stage.
I have them put away and will sort through tonight after bedtime. This is probably the only branded toy they own; most of their toys are not labelled; I wonder if any of those are poison too. I have seriously considerd getting rid of everything they have and replacing it with wooden, naturally or not at all, finished. All the paints and plastics, etc... I just know they're toxic, I just haven't taken direct action against it, yet. I'm going to talk to dh about it tonight.
Thanks for the link - I'll have to look through our Thomas stuff tonight.
You probably won't notice any effects of lead poisoning until school. Then behvioral issues and cognitive delays are usually what triggers a test. If you're worried, have your child tested. It's a blood draw from the arm (do NOT rely on the finger stick). If the level is less than 10, you're fine. If it's between 10-20, the recommendation is usally to feed high calcium/high iron diets and retest. Above 20 usually means chelation. Keep in mind, that many of us grew up with lead levels that averaged around 14. Once leaded gas was reformulated, and lead paint was removed, the average level dropped to less than 10.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.