Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,<br>
My DD just started eating solids at 9 months. She never wanted pureed at all. She went straight to finger foods and wants to self feed.<br><br>
So far, she likes Gerber Puffs, cheerios, banana, corn (totally not digested though), and broccoli.<br><br>
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should follow the regular 9 month old guidelines in Dr. Sears' book (which means pretty much everything is OK to try excluding a few allergenic things like cow's milk)? Since she's just starting to eat I dunno if I am supposed to approach things as though she is a younger baby or treat her like a "regular" 9 month old.<br><br>
Are the recommendations strictly based on their physiology, or are there assumptions that the baby has already started on the normal progression and you ADD things like tofu at 9 months.<br><br>
I hope this post makes sense!<br>
XOXO<br>
B

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would say do what they reccommend for their age. If you aren't sure about doing this, you could do an accelerated introduction such as 6-9 month foods for a few weeks and then introduce 9-12 month foods. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Until they are 1 year, food is just for exploring and having fun with. My ds didn't even really get anything into his mouth until about 10mo anyway.<br><br>
Have fun!<br>
Wendi

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I went by age. DD really wasn't interested in solids until around 11 months but by that time I had "intoduced" lots of stuff (she'd probably only really eaten crumbs or drops of most of it)<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
360 Posts
My dd is around 9m and has only been eating a few solids for about a month now. I would not introduce too much at once. My reason is simple, just because they are older does not mean they won't have a reaction. So for a few weeks try things out like you would a younger baby. The big ones are eggs, peanut butter,and dairy. Those i would be very careful with. I am still giving my dd very little solids. She has cereal with banana in the moring. Finger foods, like cheerio and gerber graduates puffs and baby crackers. She sometimes has a jar of baby food, but that is it. She would eat more if i offered it, but I am waiting till she is a little older till I give her sugar and salt. trust your instincts.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think you would be fine following the guidelines for her age. DD#2 was about your daughters age when she really started eating solids and it was bits of table food. She wanted to eat what we were eating. You still need to watch for signs of allergies just as if she were younger.<br><br>
-Pam

·
Registered
603 Posts
ds3 did exactly what your daughter did...skipped the puree and went straight to table food. We had no reason to believe ds3 would have food allergies, so we basically followed the guidelines for a 9 month old. I held off on the usual until after a year, but at that age he was eating cheese and yogurt, soft veggies and fruit, crackers, cheerios, hummus, bagels and toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts