Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching and trying to find out more on it. And what treatments seem to work??<br><br>
So if you had/have unexplained IF. And got pregnant what worked??<br><br>
And if you are TTC with unexplained IF what have you done so far?<br><br>
Thanks<br>
Misty

·
Registered
546 Posts
It seems that the treatment options are the same no matter what the cause of IF... our diagnosis is also unexplained IF, though DH has subfertile sperm counts (not too bad, enough for IUI for sure). We have done 5 cycles of IUI, 3 with clomid. We are now moving on to IVF.<br><br>
I think the standard is to start with IUIs, try a few cycles, then move on to injectable meds + IUI or IVF.<br><br>
If you have unexplained, I assume they have ruled out an ovulation problem, a tubal problem, a uterine problem, and a sperm problem. Have you had an HSG? has your partner had a semen analysis? Do you chart your cycles? (if not, pick up a copy of taking charge of your fertility by toni weschler)<br><br>
Feel free to ask more questions, vent, etc. We are here for you! GL!

·
Registered
181 Posts
ditto everything biomama said.<br><br>
as for us, we tried 4 clomid cycles (50mg, 100mg, 100mg, 150mg), 3 of which included IUI. we are now doing injectables with 2 iuis. if this doesn't work we are on to ivf.<br><br>
good luck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup we have had all tests ran. All tests have come back normal. I've charted for 4+yrs. We have conceived but m/c both times. First one was in March 07 at 6wks, the other was in August of this year and a chemical. Both on natural cycles.<br><br>
I am just researching those with unexplained IF and success rates of treatments. As though we do treatments we don't know "what" were treating ya know? Does that make sense? There is no problem per say(other then the lack of pregnancy.)<br><br>
I just want to really way my options before I put my money into doing IUI with meds or just jump forward to IVF.<br><br>
Thanks so much for your replies.

·
Registered
249 Posts
our dx was secondary unexplained infertility.<br><br>
i always thought how kind of suckey the unexplained dx was, because you have to go ahead and do all the testing and nothing ever comes up as the culprit.<br><br>
i ovulated, had a good lp, husband had pretty good sperm, not stellar, but acceptable. both tubes open, uterus looked good, hormone levels come up fine, timing was always great, great cm... just never a pregnancy! for 2.5 years.<br><br>
started with clomid alone, then clomid iui cycles, then went right to ivf. skipped injectable iui's because of my age (38) and cost comparisons.<br><br>
our successful cycle was antagonist protocol, with icsi and assisted hatching.<br>
we also used fertility acupuncture for 3 months prior and during the ivf cycle. transferred 3 day3 embryos, and i am 25 wks pregnant with one baby boy.<br><br>
i felt like there was something not right with my eggs. like the zona pellucida was too hard, or wasn't hatching properly, or maybe there were subtle things 'off' with lots of things, like sperm, my eggs being so-so, hormones not being quite right... i think the acupuncture helped a lot, and it was the right med protocol, too, as the long lupron protocol didn't work for me at all. i also think we just really, really lucked out. our chances for success were a little less than 30%.<br><br>
its so hard to tell what's going to be that magic ticket. i have a friend who cycled with me, she had unexplained infertility for 5 years, but with rpl, too... our ivf cycles were really identical, she even had pgd done on her embryos, and transferred 2 perfect 5 day blasts. but no pregnancy. then, 2 months later, she got pregnant on her first clomid/iui cycle. they were doing iui's for the heck of it while they waited for a donor egg cycle to happen later in the year. it all makes me think how random it all is.<br><br>
we just laid out all the options in front of us, the costs (all out of pocket) and went for the ivf. i was so tired of not knowing why what was supposed to work didn't. i figured we would try everything there was to do, like icsi and assisted hatching, and if that didn't work... well, then try again, i guess.<br><br>
i really hope you find the right path for you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts