Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me your tricks for making the clothes less crunchy, please!
No matter how windy it is or how many fans I use indoors everything still comes out stiff as a board. I don't mind the wrinkles but stiff underwear sucks. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't really mind the crunch too much, except towels, they are so scratchy!
I have noticed that if I bring them in and fold them when they are still a little bit damp (95% dry) they aren't as crunchy.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I don't find this an issue. Do you give everything a good shake before you hang it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't they mildew that way, Bugs?
I usually shake them and then put shirts on hangers/jeans over a rack/underwear on a little rack with clothespins attached. Most of our stuff is 100% cotton or close to it...maybe that has something to do with the stiffness?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nope never had a mildew problem. But I do let them sit folded in the laundry basket for a few hours so they are totally dry when they go into drawers. And we don't have tons of clothes. So everything is worn and washed again within a week or so.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I don't find this an issue. Do you give everything a good shake before you hang it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No issue here either. I give things a shake after dry and they are fine.

I wonder if the kind of detergent affects it? (Maybe some have starch?) I use the Eco brands. I also wash in warm water/ cold rinse (don't know if that has any impact).

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I air dry as much as possible to save $$..

Except towels...I hate crunchy towels...wrinkling isn't a huge problem if you shake the clothes well before hanging...adding some vinegar to your rinse cycle/or fabric softener helps with crunchy underthings 😊

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It can be a hard water thing, which is why the vinegar helps sometimes. I unfortunately don't have a clothesline or space for one right now, so our stuff either goes in the dryer or gets hung up on lots of folding clothes racks.

We also have off-the-charts hard water, and use both Charlie's Soap and their laundry booster/hard water treatment in the wash. Both are fairly inexpensive per load and environmentally friendly (found out about Charlie's Soap on this board, in fact!), and seem to not aggravate anyone's skin conditions in our house. YMMV, but I highly recommend them. I've notice that our underwear gets a LOT cleaner since we started using the laundry booster.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am going to try the vinegar trick. Our dryer died 2 weeks ago and we haven't bought a new one.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we broke down and bought a used dryer but after a few weeks it doesn't heat anymore, so I've been hanging to dry and then running the dryer cold to soften everything up. The extra step sucks-we do a LOT of laundry. Maybe (probably) I'm just too picky? I've asked everyone around me with a clothesline and no one else has complaints.
Hmm, does detergent make a difference? I make my own detergent-Ivory bar soap, washing powder, Borax. Thanks for the vinegar reminder; for some reason I forgot about that after all of mine were out of diapers.
Our water is pretty much in the middle, if anything tending towards soft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, we broke down and bought a used dryer but after a few weeks it doesn't heat anymore, so I've been hanging to dry and then running the dryer cold to soften everything up. The extra step sucks-we do a LOT of laundry. Maybe (probably) I'm just too picky? I've asked everyone around me with a clothesline and no one else has complaints.
Hmm, does detergent make a difference? I make my own detergent-Ivory bar soap, washing powder, Borax. Thanks for the vinegar reminder; for some reason I forgot about that after all of mine were out of diapers.
Our water is pretty much in the middle, if anything tending towards soft.
Hi,

Our dryer broke a little while back. And because we have so much laundry it drove me nuts. But I looked up my dryer and found some videos of people fixing the dryer and different causes it could be.

It ended up being a fuse that just had went out. If it's the heating element it will cost you more.
but if you have a I think it's called a volt meter you can check if it's your fuse.

I was able to get my husband to fix it for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts