Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure most of us are at least partially consumed with thoughts of life and growth and babies to come right now. I'd love to hear some of your musings or epiphanies or simple ponderances.

During the first few weeks of my finding out about the pregnancy I began thinking of the duration of pregnancy as the "feelings" that span the hours of a day. Since time is a constructed phenomenon, and duration can be whatever one defines it as, I began thinking of the first few weeks of pregnancy as the early early morning hours of the day, when the world is still quiet and still. As the pregnancy progressed, I started to feel the quiet awakening of the morning flow, say, my 9am hour. Now I'm nearing the half way point, and things seem to be awakening - my energy level is back, and the growth of the movement within feels like the picking up of the day, nearing noon when the activity level of the day really starts to feel in full swing. To come will be the sustained movement of the day, and soon (maybe 32 weeks?) it will be siesta time, only to reawaken to finish up the day. Then labor will start, the height of the energy of the pregnancy, party time!!! I equate that to late night hours (or late night hours when I was younger and had the energy to get out and stay out!) as the baby emerges and the party dies down, we come full circle back into the quiet quiet hours of the morn once again, enjoying the calm serenity that a freshly emerged being presents, and completing the full 24 hour energy cycle that can be present in any day.

Today I began to think about consciousness, and at what point we begin to gain it. I'm hearing of those ultrasounds where the baby is active and moving- flipping, kicking, sucking its' thumb. Our babies have fully formed brains at this point, so there was a period in there when it went from being just cells to a being having the capacities developed for consciousness to emerge... What level of consciousness has developed at this point? Or are their movements purely instinctual? This new thought pattern that I've discovered leads to more and more questions, about shared consciousness between him/her and I, or not (s/he is sharing my physical body, is she also sharing my conscious body? Are my feelings affecting her? I've come to think of my emotional body as largely being driven by my hormonal body, of which s/he is directly impacted by at this stage)...

If any of you have any thoughts to help me progress with my new ponderances, please continue the dialog... or perhaps you've had your own new thoughts that have sprung up from this new experience of creating life? I'm curious to hear!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know some cultures believe that the soul enters the body at birth. I'm not sure what I believe about that. I do think it's so weird that the baby is alive, but doesn't breath yet. That's always seemed very strange.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard that about cultural beliefs. Does a soul constitute consciousness?
I was just reading a study that some French scientists did with hooking up 5 month old and beyond babies to see if memory recall was active at that age by brain activity. It was, and they believed that perhaps as early as 2 months old a baby had cognitive memory recall and understanding. Does memory recall constitute consciousness? Does it begin even before then?

I've heard of some people who actively try to reexperience being in the womb via deep meditative practices and hypnosis. If it's possible to bring ourselves back there, we must have had an initial awareness of the experience. Does awareness constitute consciousness?

I'm so so intrigued!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts