Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to search for perimenopausal and it pulled up stuff from "04 so I'll start a new thread with hopes that other women might have thoughts on it. I'm 34 and since dd's birth 3 years ago I have noticed major changes. Up until cycle returned at 18 months I was much more emotional than I had ever been and attributed it to stress. Maybe it was related? Then after af returned, I started having MAJOR low's, much more moody than I've ever been in a cyclical way. Cycles starting getting closer too; usually 23 days or so. I can tell when I ovulate now which is new. And have much more BB's fullness etc. Twice now I have had such horrible months with sore bbs, nauseau, tiredness, etc. that I really feared pg... I mean I couldn't imagine that 3 weeks of that was only pms!!!!! Ok, so I've heard caffeine, diet, exercise, mutiple vit, and calcium/magnesium are all helpful. What have others noticed about perimenopause and what is working for you?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I have had similar issues, I had short cycles, and 1.5 day light periods, after pregnancy at 28 and a huge weight gain I went to 26-30 days and actually had to go to hospital for 10 day hemmorages...

I've heard the cycle/uterus changes after each baby, and every few years. You might want to see your gyn. as there can be many issues that affect periods/hormones. Weight gain/loss is huge for affecting estrogen/progesterone, diet can also do it - eating lots of red meat or cut back? possibly retained tissue can cause more pms/tipped uterus.

Breast tissue changes after pregnancy permanently so some of what you are experiencing might be the new body
but a full hormone study/blood workup and try to get yourself as healthy as possible, eat well, exercise, etc hard to do with kids! Magnesium helps with bleeding I got that with one of my hospital visits, if you are still breastfeeding or weaned recently that can affect tenderness.

lol and yep I think I am pregnant half the time too, could your fears of being pregnant this moment without knowing also be causing you stress? As the best way to cure period symptoms
also is there any chance you had a spontaneous early miscarriage?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think y'all are a little young for perimenopause. I'm 44 and definitely there...lol. After having a baby your body does change quite a bit, including different cycles and more intense mood swings - good suggestion to get your hormone levels checked...good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
b-complex, calcium with mag, primrose oil and plenty of exercise seems to help a lot with the moodiness. However, my periods are a lot heavier with perimenopause - my first 2 days are a mess plus I think I'm anemic now. yuk. That's when the chocolate really helps!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I am hoping that some of you are up for continuing this post - I may start a new one if not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomingranny
I think y'all are a little young for perimenopause.
Okay, so I am 38. I just started having hot flashes a LOT of hot flashes - about 20 a day. How could this be? So I looked into it. I only have just about every single symptom there is, and there are a lot, including:

sweet/sugar cravings
increase of appetite
increase of thirst
hot flashes (ripping off and throwing on clothes all day)
night sweats
achy joints
fatigue - no matter how much sleep
restless sleep
recent sudden loss of 40 lbs.
under extreme amounts of stress recently
sudden erratic periods (after extremely consistent ones)
irritability
vaginal dryness
lessened sex drive (my DH is thrilled about this one...)

Have I missed any? I probably have 'em.

I went to the Gyn a few months ago thinking it was PMS and he tried the pill but it only seemed to help "a little." He said that if it were PMS then the pill would have helped A LOT. Well, fine, I thought. Whatever. So I stopped taking it and was frustrated that none of the docs could help me with this.

Here is my deal. I would try to talk about this with people I know, but the women I know that have been through this just don't walk about it. I am the talky one in the family. Others, no. I have no shame. So, what is the deal. I have no idea what to expect. I would go see the doc but I don't want a single thing to hold up my surgery that I am hoping for, to relive my back pain. Has natural herb therapy worked for anyone? I would definitely try that before hormone replacement anyway.

And... what is the difference between perimenopause and menopause? I mean, does it get a ton worse from here and am I going to turn into some crazy bi-polar nut?

Argh....

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Have you had a thyroid check and liver enzymes done art4 babies. It sounds more like hyperthyroidism than anything else. Did he do a hormone check to see what they were like?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
art4babies, see if you can find on line at a second hand book store, Dr Ellen Grant's book "Sexual Chemistry" It's one of the best there is explaining why no sensible person should use the pill, and how to sort out perimenopausal issues.

But I'm just not sure yours is....

Dr John Lee's books might also be useful.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Not a thyroid issue. I worked hard on losing the weight and I list this under symptoms because I read that a substantial loss of weight can bring menopause on, just like stress. Since I have both of those in pretty extreme ways then they may be a consideration. Also, yes, I had a thyroid check (liver too - the Navy does everything) about a year ago and the only really change since then has been the weight loss. And re the pill: I only used it for about 1 month and stopped that about 4 months ago.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I am 36, and after weaning my last one 2 years ago, I am having longer bleeding cycles, more intese cramps, moods, temp, etc. My diet/exercise/health has not changed.
I am embracing it as yet another life/body change and not worrying about it. Lucky my GYN is rather holistic or else I am sure everyone would be trying to "regulate" me and my body and keep me cycling/acting like a 20 year old!
Watching my fertility and reproductive years wane is difficult, although I am done with babies. It is an adjustment though.
I highly recommend Susun Weed's books: Healing Wise and
New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Herbal Series, Book 5) (Wise Woman Ways) "The menopause "bible" for 350,000 women who've chosen strong bones and healthy hearts without recourse to hormones. A treasure trove of accessible, reliable, non-drug remedies." and likewise her Breast Cancer? Breast Health!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Ah - Susan Weed - a friend of a friend. I hate how I sound when I say I don't have time to read, but it is true; something would have to suffer. I will make a list for when my husband leaves on deployment. I do not want to do any sort of hormone replacement, wither, but I will cross that bridge when it gets there.

Anyway, I know some of Susan Weeds philosophies on herbal use in that you can use a number of herbs (or just a single one) for a number of uses - you have to "ask" the plant to help you. Anyway, I believe this in the sense of the power of the mind and focus - one of the reasons I practice yoga, which I highly recommend. It has helped me but I am also interested in what to expect; this cab be really helpful when you are sorting through these changes and can assign them to a source rather than blaming yourself for loss of control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.