Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have opinions on the pros/cons of standardized testing for gifted kids? Assuming they don't have testing issues (my son seems to like it as much as I always did!), are there any issues with having Stanford testing done?

We are homeschoolers in a state with no testing requirements, so it would, essentially, be for our own benefit. So, I'm thinking there's not really anything to lose, but of course with normal asynchronies and our "eclectic" home-/un-schooling approach, I do wonder just what we'll see.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
4,893 Posts
I'll confess to a bias against standardized testing upfront for any student. You didn't ask about standardized tests generally, so I won't get into those issues.

We haven't had a lot of experience (one has written 2 standardized elementary school tests, the other 1). They've done very well overall, but results were not exceptional. Both of them tended to overthink the questions, so they came up with "wrong" answers a few times. One of them has written expression issues and tends to provide a brief answer - which means losing points for "showing your work". I have known brilliantly gifted students to do fairly poorly on standardized tests for all sorts of reasons.

For the most part, we ignore the standardized testing results. It irks me when I hear that some schools use the results to determine admission to gifted programs.

· Registered
189 Posts
Are looking at a grade level or an above grade level test?

Our district uses the SAT10 and state standards tests. The state and SAT10 test is too easy. A perfect score lands you around the 96th percentile.

I think testing could help you see some gaps, or mountains, that you may not have seen. If you do decide to test make sure you choose one with a high ceiling so you are not wasting your money to see a perfect score.

· Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
it would, essentially, be for our own benefit. So, I'm thinking there's not really anything to lose, but of course with normal asynchronies and our "eclectic" home-/un-schooling approach, I do wonder just what we'll see.
What benefit do you think it would give you?

We homeschooled for a long time and my kids never took a standardized test. I always figured our time could be better spent doing something interesting!

They now attend school, and between regular testing, gifted testing, and special needs testing my life pretty much revolves around the things (some of it we are making up for never having done before).

Unless you can come up with something that you hope to get out of it, I wouldn't bother. If you are happy with how things are going and you can tell that your children are thriving, a lower than excepted result could mess with your head for no good reason.

My gifted child does very well on standardized test, which is nice see and helps us communicate with others about what is appropriate for her.

· Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Honestly, for all the anxiety that my son has in other areas, he does well on tests.

I personally don't like standardized tests, but do recognize that they serve a purpose and are basically unavoidable in our society if one wants to go to college or post bac work (GRE anyone?
)

Learning how to take tests requires some familiarity with tests. I think that the danger is basing all one's ability on a test (i.e. gifted programs where the only criterion is scoring high on a standardixed test, or having the test stand in place of an IQ assessment, etc.)

But if you are just using it to determine academic strengths/weaknesses tests can be a great tool.

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly I'd be looking for strengths/weaknesses, or, moreover, gaps. Of course, given our mostly eclectic approach to schooling, I am wondering just what kinds of gaps might be there just because we're studying different topics. But, then again, DS has a very wide range of interests and a broad knowledge base, so he might do better than I'd expect.

One benefit (at least if he does reasonably well!) is to shush any critics. The great thing there is almost any score is good enough to say it proved he's doing well, even if he doesn't ace it, since one would not likely discuss specifics.

I am mildly interested in having him learn test-taking, and I do think he'd enjoy the challenge. He would be doing the Stanford test at a 2nd grade level. I'm not sure if it would be good or bad on that one to have him tested at grade level.

For me, while I'm pretty certain he's ahead of grade level in pretty much everything, I still sometimes worry that we're missing something. So, I guess the main objective would really be to ensure we've covered the bases well enough, or figure out where to focus. But, I'd like to avoid any potential pitfalls of doing these with a gifted student. And a kinesthetic one, at that.

· Registered
2,827 Posts
Maybe I'm not following you...the Stanford Binet?

It won't help with standardized testing experience as it's 1:1, not group or multiple choice/paper based.

It won't tell you gaps in knowledge of skills, per se.

If you're looking for gaps, what about the Sylvan testing? It would be far cheaper.

My kids enjoyed it.

· Registered
9,321 Posts
If this is solely for the experience and for you to see gaps, maybe just get a practice test book (such as this) and grade it yourself. Much cheaper and easier than signing up for testing at a center, and if he does perfectly on the 2nd grade one you can just get the 3rd or 4th (or SAT
) level one.

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no... Stanford Achievement Test, which is the type I can easily have administered here. Like Iowas (ITBS?). I did both as a kid and totally loved it, but, um, I guess I'm kinda weird that way.

eepster, thanks for the link! I was going to try to find practice tests, so I'm glad the work is done for me.
I agree, doing it at home that way might be just as well. I will definitely check that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.