Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rachel Hermione White

Thoughts behind Rachel: My middle name is Rachel. We gave our son my husband's middle name (Ethan), and our 1st daughter, Kira, is named after my 1st name, in a way (Helen is Greek for light, Kira is Latin for light), so we don't think she would feel left out that we skipped a child before continuing with this trend. It would be more like we named our 1st daughter after my 1st name, and our 2nd daughter after my 2nd name. I like giving names that provide a family connection without actually giving our children our first names, which wouldn't seem to provide enough of a sense of individuality.

Thoughts behind Hermione: Hermione, in Greek legend, was the daughter of Helen. (My name, as you may have noticed, is Helen.
) I also think it's pretty, and I'm not as worried about using an unusual or difficult to pronounce name in the middle name slot. With the increasing popularity of the Harry Potter books, a lot of people are going to be familiar with that name anyway. DH and I are big Harry Potter fans, so we'll probably be reading those books with the kids when they get older, and little Rachel would probably get a kick out of sharing a name with such a strong, intelligent character.

Other names we're considering: I'm also considering Luella as a middle name, as that was my grandma's middle name, and I like it better than her first name, Thelma. DH's 1st choice for a girl name was Rachel, but his 2nd favorite is Penelope, so I know he would like to use that for a middle name. But I'm not crazy about it. And he said I could pick the middle name, as he got his #1 pick on the first name. I do like Penelope better as a middle than first name, since it would be less likely to be shortened to "Penny." But Penelope, Oddysseus' wife, always struck me as rather spineless. I'd rather have a stronger middle name to balance out the soft, gentle "Rachel" (meaning lamb).

Anyway, thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it is a lovely name. I like the family connection. It has a very classic sound to it.

(My sister named her cat Hermione, but we won't go there.
)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think it's beautiful because it has meaning to your family. As long as YOU (meaning you and hubby) are okay with it, that's all that should matter - go with your heart and name your beautiful daughter what you like

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
LOL! I am Greek, and I have a cousin and a friend named "Hermione." I love it as middle name, as you have chosen. Both my "Hermiones" actually hate it as a first name, because few ever pronounce it properly, since it's "HER-ME-OH-KNEE" accent on the "OH". Also, in Greek the "H" is non-existent. BTW, both go by "Mina."

And I absolutely love it in combination with the first name Rachel...Congrats to you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.