Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm about halfway through "unconditional parenting" and I think really liking it.  Has anyone else read it?  Thoughts on what parts you liked or didn't like?  Has it changed the way you parent or has it reinforced the way you already parent? </p>

·
Registered
462 Posts
<p>It was ok. I loved it when I first read it but found that it didn't work to follow it completely. I did bring up good points but it has no concrete examples for dealing with toddlers and little kids and if I tried to follow it to exactly  I would have been to permissive with my kids and their behavior would of been really bad. I am more conscious of praise now and don't over do it saying good job to every little thing. I try to use it for times that I or they are really proud. I try to use natural conequences but time outs do work well for me to gain composer and for my kids to gain control. It didn't really have much practical advice.  I usually take pieces of advice from many different sources and do what works for me and my kids.</p>

·
Registered
382 Posts
<p>You know I have read a fair amount of parenting books-I am an avid reader. I can tell you many things I read in The Hurried Child that I lvoed. Or Simplicity Parenting that I loved. Or the Overly Scheduled Child. And this book-I don't really remember anything at all about it. It just did not strike any kind of "wow I never thought about it that way" vibe. I think I remember it being long on in a perfect world stuff.</p>

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
<p>I admittedly adore that book and most of Alfie Kohn's writings.  UP really resonated with me and expanded some of my understanding of how I could have relationships with my kids.  I think that LLL's Adventures in Gentle Discipline is a great companion book, as it were, with more practical advice that you can use iwth UP philosophy.  But UP is more a philosophy about family and parenting and kids, to be sure.  It fits exactly what DH and I had been envisioning for our family, but it certainly is radical enough that a lot of folks could get a lot out of it (Oh how I wish the ILs would read it, lol). </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts