Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of information regarding obseity and kids getting to many fats (calories), has been pointed to the amount of fat in dairy products.<br><br>
Personally, I disagree with taking good, fat rich milk and milk products away from kids.<br><br>
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I am using organic I use whole milk and full fatted. There is CLA (forgot what it stands for Conjugated Lineolic Acid maybe ?) this is actually anticancer.<br><br>
If non-organic I don't because the fat is where the pesticides, hormones, RGBH etc accumulate.<br><br>
Children under two need fat for their brains to develop properly.<br><br>
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I think all the weight problems in kids and adults is to blame on the junk foods they eat. High fructose corn syrup is in everything.<br><br>
I have no problems eating healthy, natural fats, our bodies are made to handle them.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Another healthy fat fan. We use whole organic,non-homogonized local milk and cream. I believe it's the sugars, simple carbohydrates and transfats that are making kids/people fat.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I have always thought my dd's needed the good full fat stuff but people are always questioning it. *ugh* I either buy organic or from a local farm that does not use hormones or pesticides but not certified organic.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I always use the fullest fat dairy product. I read that the tests showing a correlation between dairy and health problems found that skim milk was much worse than whole milk. Personally, I always tend towards the least amount of processing.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree with the previous poster - if you can get high quality milk, then absolutely go with full-fat. However, if we have to use industrial milk on occasion, I will choose lowfat. In industrial milk, the nutrient level is low anyway, and the pesticides and hormones are more plentiful in the fat.<br><br>
Aven

·
Registered
81 Posts
My feeling is that if I'm spending extra money to buy organic/grass-fed dairy products, I had better get the full fat and get the most for my money. The fat is where all the nutrients are. I think kids absolutely need healthy fats. I treat whole milk like a food (similar to yogurt) rather than a beverage. Some people and kids down skim milk all day as though it's water. I'm not sure that's a great approach as it probably leads to excess calories...<br><br>
-Angie

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I don't use lowfat dairy products for any of us- I've never found it to make any sense. If I'm going to have something dairy, I want full fat so it will fill me up and I'll eat a sensible portion. Lowfat stuff leaves me snacking on everything in sight and/or eating double or triple the amount I should eat.<br><br>
I've recently started buying lowfat yogurt for my 12yo because she has a problem with stopping eating when she's full. She'll take a full bowl of yogurt and finish it whether she's full or not. The rest of us will leave half a bowl (or more) uneaten if we've taken more than we should and we stop being hungry halfway through the serving. When I only bought lowfat DD2 complained that it didn't fill her up and she had to eat almost the entire package when 1-2 bowls of full fat would have filled her up and held her longer. So I buy full-fat milk, cheese, and yogurt, plus lowfat yogurt for the one DD who needs it.<br><br>
I question any study "showing" that lower fat is healthier when they compare high, fiber, minimally processed meals low in fat with overly processed junk foods containing trans fats, sugars, and white flour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts