Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearly 17 weeks, and my midwife couldn't find a heartbeat with a pinard (I am declining doppler/ultrasound use) but said she wasn't worried and that my uterus has grown (so has my belly, I am now showing). I might have felt a kick a few days ago and my midwife agrees it was probably the baby.

My dilemma is that I originally wanted to wait until we heard a heartbeat to tell people, and I will be going to a family function on Friday and will be unable to hide my belly, which I don't want to do, anyway. Has anyone else had this issue? Not hearing a heartbeat but the other signs are good? What would you do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you tell your family? How do you feel about it? If you are showing, that would mean growth, I'm assuming.

I'm 15 weeks and the midwife hasn't found the heartbeat for us either. I'm not concerned, as I've felt movement, I'm growing, and I'm still nauseous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you tell your family? How do you feel about it? If you are showing, that would mean growth, I'm assuming.

I'm 15 weeks and the midwife hasn't found the heartbeat for us either. I'm not concerned, as I've felt movement, I'm growing, and I'm still nauseous.
Hey Hippie Mama, nice to hear from someone in a similar situation. I am growing and feeling movement of some kind at least once a day. We aren't seeing the midwife again until the 27th so another long wait!

I did end up telling people, and so far I feel okay about it. The little one gave his/her biggest kick yet on the day so I took that as a good sign :p

You sound totally fine, I will keep you updated and I hope to hear good news from you. It's tough going the natural way, but I hope worth it. Are you declining dopplers/scans, too?

·
Registered
633 Posts
We told after the results of genetic testing came back. Probably won't hear anything through fetoscope till over 20 weeks because I'm fatter this time than other pregnancies, but I will do an anatomy scan at 20-22 weeks so that will be a good peek and checking in on baby (not feeling consistent movement yet - as I said, fat, plus I suspect anterior placenta)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A long time ago, before ultrasounds and Doppler, women knew that they were pregnant by their bellies growing...and so did the people around them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts