Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought myself a new Janome Magnolia, which I am in love with
:

When I bought the machine, they told me not to use Coats and Clark because the quality had gone down. So should I really only buy the higher-quality thread? What do I do with my C and C stash? I also have some old, old thread from my dh's grandma - some of it C and C and some of it other brands, on wooden spools. Does thread get old and worn? Do I toss that stuff, too?

I don't want to harm my Janome!

·
Registered
207 Posts
no, no don't ever toss old thread! It is collectable to start. I generally use guttermann and C& C as far as grade goes, for me it depends upon how sturdy i want the item i am seing to be. Just clean you machine regularly.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The C&C breaks a lot and makes a lot of lint. It will drive you to distraction and waste a lot of your time and energy. Guterman and Mettler are the best brands. Save the other thread for hand sewing or give it to the Goodwill.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Someone gave me a bunch of old thread, various brands, so I used it up in the bobbins on some wipes. I use only the gutterman when given a choice though. As someone else said, the C&C lints and breaks and causes too much frustration.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Gutterman is the only thing I buy.

As for the older thread, it does degrade in quality as it ages, so I wouldn't use it on the machine. I don't know anything about it being collectible, though.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I've been replacing with gutterman, however, I have noticed that the FABRIC I am using lints the machine easily as much as the c&c as I use that up. *shrug* That's why my machine came with a little brush to clean out the lint, I suppose! SO, just keep up with the lint and as long as it isn't breaking on you, use up what you have before you buy more. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.