Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody subscribe to this magazine? What do you think? I think I've seen it in the fabric store, but never bought a copy.

I just got a solicitation to buy it in the mail, from the Taunton press (generally, their stuff is very nice). Dh's been asking me what I want for my birthday...and I got to thinking that might be a nice thing to ask him for.

Anybody get it? Do you recommend it?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I got it for several years. Taunton's craft magazines are all top of the line, real professional kind of advice, not "easy cheater craft" junk. So, it is well worth the money, if you'll be doing some reasonably serious tailoring. I do some pretty intensive sewing, and some of it was, well, not above my head but well above the level I generally work at. I mean, I'm not custom tailoring fitted suits with hand-done detailing. But, it did definately inspire me to pay attention to many details, and gave me many really great tips for simple things.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
ditto. I love Threads. I find it inspiring and every article is useful, every article has an idea or a technique that I can take away and apply to my sewing. I have subscribed in previous years, I generally don't in years like this that I have babies. I find it so frustrating to read about projects and not have the time to try them.

Have you looked at their website? Here is the link: Threads . I think the website is a good reflection of what the print magazine has to offer.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I have like 8 years of back issues from the mid-80's. The styles are TOTALLY off but the tailoring and fitting info I'm sure is still good, if I could only understand it!!
It is a 100% top-quality magazine for pros.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82
It is a 100% top-quality magazine for pros.
I would have to disagree. I would not recommend it to someone who was just learning to sew, because I think it would be overwhelming to them. But I am certainly not a pro and I have learned so much from this magazine. I also think that if you look at more recent issues, Threads has made a real effort to be more 'approachable' and carries information of relevance to most levels and styles of sewing. I do agree that you have a wealth of information and techniques in your back issues.

Gardenmom, have you read the Fine Gardening magazine from Taunton Press? I am thinking you might have, considering your name
. I think they are similar in quality though I find Threads to be a bit more readable mostly due to all of the latin plant names, :LOL.

If someone offered to buy me a pricey magazine subscription right now, I would be sorely tempted to ask for Ottobre over Threads. They aren't the same except they are both 'sewing', Ottobre is a design magazine with patterns included published 4 times a year. Move over McCalls, this stuff is up-to-date European style for children and cute, cute, cute. Besides, Threads is available at my library.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.