Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
The "Never sleep with a baby" one really makes me angry!!!!! The other ones are very disturbing, too, but at least those things are TRULY dangerous. I know sleeping with your baby on a couch isn't a good idea but for them to make such a blanket statement that it is ALWAYS dangerous is inaccurate. It makes me mad.
:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I wish they could at least make some distinctions b/w people who sleep with baby on a couch, after drinking alchohol/using drugs, in waterbeds, around smoke, with gobs of pillows and puffy comforters, on tummies, parents who don't usually cosleep but accidentally fall asleep, etc, and those who conscientiously choose to cosleep in safe sleeping environments. There's a BIG difference here. Yeah, I'm quite sure that there are babies out there who have been harmed when an intoxicated, smoker, non-breastfeeding parent fell asleep holding them on the sofa. But that's not the same thing as co-sleeping!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeys4mama
I wish they could at least make some distinctions b/w people who sleep with baby on a couch, after drinking alchohol/using drugs, in waterbeds, around smoke, with gobs of pillows and puffy comforters, on tummies, parents who don't usually cosleep but accidentally fall asleep, etc, and those who conscientiously choose to cosleep in safe sleeping environments. There's a BIG difference here. Yeah, I'm quite sure that there are babies out there who have been harmed when an intoxicated, smoker, non-breastfeeding parent fell asleep holding them on the sofa. But that's not the same thing as co-sleeping!!!
:

I was going to post the exact same thing! The focus should be on "safe sleep" space wherever baby is! I would love to see public health money spent on "mindful co-sleeping" advocacy.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think those commercials are inflammatory and offensive, and should be removed immediately. There are much better ways to encourage parents to protect their children. That co-sleeping one is criminal at best. The makers of that one should be deeply ashamed of themselves, and a public apology is in due course. Co-sleeping can be done safely, and several studies have proven it can reduce the risks of SIDS. There are also risks to from sleeping in a crib, and obviously those aren't mentioned. Co-sleeping facilitates better sleep and breastfeeding for newborns. Mothers instincually "know" that their babies and there, and it is rare that overying or SIDS happens in a safe co-sleeping arrangement. The thing is, they lump all co-sleeping deaths together as one, despite the influences of other factors such as sleeping on couches, mothers that are high or drunk, or that the child may have been sleeping with a father or sibling, aunt, uncle or grandparent, the influences of medications or sleep disorders, ext. There are just so many variables that of course, over all, you could end up with a seriously skewed study, which is unfortunately what happened.

Let's take a different prespective. Suppouse we are studying crib sleeping and we lump all deaths that occur in a crib, including suffocation, choking on regurgitated food, accidental deaths by crib defect or collapse, dismissing human error despite the possible occurance, and SIDS. We would probably indeed come up with the conclusion that crib sleeping is dangerous. See how easily that can be done? You come to the conclusion that infant sleep has in inherent risk in it, no matter where it is done. Both risks of crib sleeping and co-sleeping will balance themselves out when both are done correctly, with co-sleeping the added prevention of possible SIDS because of the regulation of breathing the child gets when sleeping next to the mother(this may help prevent SIDS).

Overall they are using fear to induce compliance, by not giving all the facts and only giving those that will induce the fear that will produce compliance. Twisted isn't it?

Now as far as the other commericals go, I think they too graphic to be shown on TV, b/c of younger and sensitive viewers. The message that they want to get across is an important message, but I think would have been better served in other ways, such as leaving the noise in the background but having the screen black, followed by a message.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2emerson
Umm, so those are okay, but the recent bfing commercials were too agressive?
I haven't seen any BFing commericals. But then again, I have TIVO and don't watch them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I personally don't agree with the sleeping with the baby commcerial. The focus should be on safe sleeping, not sleeping on a couch...

The other two.... are a little disturbing...but you know what? I think they should be! These days people don't seem to "get" just being told so or reading about not leaving your child unattended.... I think these commcerials could be a wake up, that is desperatly needed! Too many children have died or been injured lately as a result of not watching them.

I also agree, there needs to be a don't leave your child in a car, commercial.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The swimming pool one is a bit confusing. I don't want to see a child floating, but all you see is a freaked out adult and a few kids standing there looking in. I knew what it was about from the get go, but I felt it wasn't very direct. Not sure how it could be so it'd be better though?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsMommy
The "Never sleep with a baby" one really makes me angry!!!!! The other ones are very disturbing, too, but at least those things are TRULY dangerous. I know sleeping with your baby on a couch isn't a good idea but for them to make such a blanket statement that it is ALWAYS dangerous is inaccurate. It makes me mad.
:
Exactly.

Most of us cosleepers don't sleep with our baby's face smushed into the side of a couch's pillow
: Why couldn't they have taken more of an approach of "always put baby on her back to sleep until she can roll over on her own, don't put her near heavy blankets that could hinder breathing", or something to that effect. Although even then I can think of circumstances where babies with medical needs shouldn't be sleeping on their backs.

Sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly81

I also agree, there needs to be a don't leave your child in a car, commercial.

I third that!

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
I thought the two "drowning" ones were effective. They made the point clearly to adults who are suppsed to understand them.

The cosleeping one, well, we've got b'H six of us in the family bed now, so am kind of
: when I see that stuff, not getting how they could fearmonger something that so much of the world did for so much of the history of the world. You know?

(Is "fearmonger" a verb?
)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.