Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love some advice on three syllable names:
DH and I both LOVE the name Clementine (if our surprise turns out to be a girl). The only acceptable nickname, to us, would be "lemon", which we would use sparingly. Other than that, I would want her to be called Clementine because I hate the nicknames "Clem" and "Clemmy". For those of you with three syllable names or who have kids with three syllable names--is this an impossible goal? With everyone naturally call her Clem or Clemmy even if I introduce her as Clementine? Our other favorite is Beatrix. I love the nickname "Bee" and would have no problem calling her that. In fact, the nickname "Bee" is part of the appeal. So, in your opinions, should we go ahead and name her Clementine and expect everyone to cooperate or should we go with Beatrix because most likely no one will cooperate? Any advice is helpful--thanks!

· Registered
2,231 Posts
I immediately want to shorten it to Clem. Honestly, I don't think you will have much control over people's instinct to nickname. I've always felt a bit put off by parents who are militant about not shortening long names.

· Registered
242 Posts
Short name or long name people tend to change it! My DS #2 is Tait and when he was first born MIL held him and said "awww Taiter tot" immediately I said "Noooo, we are not starting that."

My nephew is Andrew and he's always been Andrew no Drew or Andy (he is 17 now). So it is possible. If you let your wishes be know when they are little people will follow your lead...if they are respectful!

· Registered
2,082 Posts
We're only two years in, but no one calls our Catherine anything but Catherine.

I also have a close friend named Melanie who has never gone by Mel.

It can be done

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I've always felt a bit put off by parents who are militant about not shortening long names.
Can I ask why? I'm not militant about our daughter's name, but I wouldn't want anyone calling her Cathy or Katie. To me, those are completely different names. They sound different and 'carry themselves' differently. If we had wanted a Katie that's the name we would have chosen.

Why does it put you off to be asked to call someone by their name? I'm not trying to be snarky, but I want to make sure that I'm not putting other people off when I introduce DD.

· Registered
1,772 Posts
I have a friend named Madeline and everyone calls her Madeline. Just anecdotal, but it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

My first name is five syllables, and I go by a 2-syllable nickname, but that's by choice - nobody ever dramatically shortens it (although they do mispronounce, anglicize, or otherwise change it) without my telling them my nickname first.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
Can I ask why? I'm not militant about our daughter's name, but I wouldn't want anyone calling her Cathy or Katie. To me, those are completely different names. They sound different and 'carry themselves' differently. If we had wanted a Katie that's the name we would have chosen.

Why does it put you off to be asked to call someone by their name? I'm not trying to be snarky, but I want to make sure that I'm not putting other people off when I introduce DD.
Truthfully, it just comes across as a bit uppity and authoritarian, IMO. Nicknames are just fun and casual, and unless it's something offensive (or the kid doesn't like the nickname) I see no harm in it at all.

People try to shorten my two syllable name, Lynette to Lyn and I don't like it, and I let them know it... but I would be put off if my parents had been butting into every conversation or situation where someone had addressed me as Lyn to correct them and let them know that, in fact my name is Lynette.

I agree that nicknames aren't the same name and they carry differently, but I think that kids should be able to own it if they want to. I hate being called Lyn, but anyone can call me Nettie I won't blink an eye. Lyn is stuffy and Nettie is fun.
I would have hated it if my parents bawled out my very well intentioned Grandma for calling me Nettie all my life, when that is just an endearing term she uses to express the casual, loving nature of our relationship.

· Registered
12,176 Posts
Quote:

Truthfully, it just comes across as a bit uppity and authoritarian, IMO. Nicknames are just fun and casual, and unless it's something offensive (or the kid doesn't like the nickname) I see no harm in it at all.
ita. i dont think its something you can control, or a big deal really.

· Registered
153 Posts
Quote:

People try to shorten my two syllable name, Lynette to Lyn and I don't like it, and I let them know it... but I would be put off if my parents had been butting into every conversation or situation where someone had addressed me as Lyn to correct them and let them know that, in fact my name is Lynette.
I see what you're saying but a newborn can't say "my name is Alexandra" I personally think giving people nicknames can be disrespectful to the name-givers and the name-bearers.

Take the parent's lead when introduced to children and take the person's lead when they introduce themselves

· Registered
1,056 Posts
We chose a name we liked that has a nickname we also like - Finnegan, Finn.

My MIL hates nicknames, so she gave her kids names she thought were nickname proof. Keith became Keithy, Bryan was Bry. She (initially) hated the name that my SIL chose for her son - Conner. She said people would call him Connie. Nobody does.

Name your child what you like... you can't really help what their names get transformed into. Just be sure you doublcheck and make sure there are no unfortunate combos with your last name.

· Registered
544 Posts
My daughter is Caroline, and the only nickname she has is her little buddy calls her Carney. They've "played" since before they were one, and nobody calls her that but him. She tells me sometimes, "My name is Caroline. Ty calls me Carney."

My name is Amanda. My parents did give me the nickname Mandy when I was little, but I put an end to that when I started kindergarten. I have been Amanda ever since except for that once a decade run-in with some distant relative who hasn't seen me since I was three who slips and calls me Mandy.

We plan to name this baby Elizabeth (if a girl) and will not shorten that, either.

· Registered
51 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
We're only two years in, but no one calls our Catherine anything but Catherine.

I also have a close friend named Melanie who has never gone by Mel.

It can be done

I also have a family member (my cousin) named Catherine and she still gets called only Catherine as a nine year old.

My high school friend Katherine was also just Katherine, among a LOT of Katies too so I think shortening to that was/is a stronger tendency than doing so to an uncommon name.

It's inevitable some people will want to shorten it to Clem or Clemmy but I agree with a pp that people want to do nicknames with all names. You'll probably have to do some correcting here and there, but I'd say go for it!

Though there is also the chance that she may grow up and like one of those nicknames herself, maybe even prefer it to the full name. That's what happened with me. But your feelings may very well be different by then.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
How about Beatrix Clementine? I think that sounds pretty cool. Another nick-name for Clementine could be Minty.

I wouldn't worry about nicknames. It seems like a kids personality dictates whether on not the name will be shortened or a nickname created. My oldest is Anna but we sometimes lengthen it to Annabelle. Some family members call her Anna Banana which is fine because it fits. My DD Julia has earned the nickname Bean or Beanie. I think it is because you can turn it into julie bean/jelly bean really easily. I always think of a jumping bean with her because she can't sit still and is always going.

I wouldn't worry too much about nicknames unless there is a name that lends itself to being nasty or something. I find that no matter what you name your kids the personality dictates whether or not it is shortened, lengthened, or left alone.

· Registered
873 Posts
I usually take the parent or child's lead when they are introduced. If they use a nickname, then I might. If they don't then I don't. I am a teacher. However, as children get older I have noticed two things. Their friends give them nicknames and they stick! And at times they give themselves nicknames. Some "reclaim" their name as they become young adults and ask to be called by the formal version of their name. So I think you can expect to have some control over Clementine's name but need to accept the chance that it will get shortened at some point. I have a friend called Tina who asked me not to shorten her name and I have resected that. My eldest son has a three letter name and it gets lengthened! My parents refuse to shorten my brothers name so he is Richard to them, but Ric to his friends.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
My DD's name is Gianna. My MIL tried to cal lher Lil' G, but that was stopped pretty fast. She is not a rapper! But she does get called Gigi at school and that is fine by me, i think it is cute. But we still only call her Gianna nad introduceher as such. ONly people that know her well (DC staff mostly) use a NN.

· Registered
6,137 Posts
I have Kennedy and Emerson and they do not have any nick names. Well we call Kennedy Willie but that is because of our last name not her first. MY MIL wanted to call Emerson Emmie and I just put my foot down and said her name is Emerson and that is what she will be called

· Registered
2,829 Posts
I have an Abigail and people, including us, often call her Abby. The only time it bothers me is when people, like my aunt, only ever use her nickname.

I don't know how much control you'll have over nicknames. My aunt named her youngest daughter a 3 syllable name and she refused anyone using a nickname. The way she enforced this was to train her daughter not to accept anyone using a nickname. No one's ever called her anything but her full name.

But FWIW, I'd probably call her Clem as well. Unless she told me otherwise.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.