Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 2.5 months old. At 2 months she had thrush in her mouth. Well its back again..first off what can be causing this? Also any natural remedies for her mouth and her bottom? She is CD and EBF so this rash thing is stumping me.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Before your child gets older and is exposed to other foods, I highly recommend getting the thrush under control. At this point, my guess is that you are the weak link (consider that this speculation is coming from another weak link). And did you have antibiotics in your delivery? C-section? Those would destroy the beneficial bacteria in your intestinal tract leaving you susceptible to candida. If you are eating refined foods or anything that breaks down as sugar, you are feeding the yeast. This is a huge pain to take care of, but I can assure you that it is worth the cost in terms of your health. Here's what I would do:

1) Don't feed the yeast. Cut out/back on refined foods. Reduce your lactose intake, cut out foods with a high mold content (mushrooms), don't eat commerical fermented foods.

2) Rebuild your gut. Consider culturing your own yogurt or kefir. Both would be best. Search this forum for info. These will have the probiotics you need to build up your intestinal tract. If you can't do this, start taking a probiotic. They are expensive and less effective than yogurt and kefir.

3) Kill the yeast. Take an anti-fungal. Actually I would rotate three or so. People typically recommend grape fruit seed extract. I reacted badly to it and have been afraid to take it but it is apparently very effective. You might use gentian violet (available w/o prescription special order from pharmacy) to give baby short-term relief).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I had a unmedicated vaginal delivery. I didn't have any antibiotics. I do not eat alot of sugar but i do drink alot of milk and eat alot cheese.
I will cut down on my milk and try other suggestions. As for her rash i should add some TTO to the water.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. So i should be washing my nipples after nursing right? Also what is the recommended dosage for grapefruit seed extract? And what form does the acidophilus and other come in? How do i take that?

·
Registered
333 Posts
SAHMinHawaii,

if you have access to a store that stocks homeopathy, candida albicans 30c can work well to clear it up. The way I did it was a few pellets in water, swish the water around a few times and feed the equivlanet of a teaspoon to her with a medicine dropper. You can also rub some of the water on her bum too. It can help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAHMinHawaii
Thanks for the tips. So i should be washing my nipples after nursing right? Also what is the recommended dosage for grapefruit seed extract? And what form does the acidophilus and other come in? How do i take that?
I got some in powdered form, I don't know if it comes in any other form. Yogurt has some good cultures but probiotics straight works better.

Don't use powder on her bum at all, especially cornstarch as it will feed the yeast. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts