Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-post in breastfeeding...

my step-MIL is in a world of hurt right now. she was feeling bad and went to the rural clinic, where the Dr told her she had a bacterial infection in her lungs. How did she diagnose this? by listening w/ a stethoscope!! no swabs, no bloodwork, and it took her less than 5 minutes. She gave SMIL a prescription for very very strong antibiotics and sent her home.

so SMIL is taking these pills, and she is getting sicker. She thinks its the pills, so she quits taking them and goes to the ER b/c now she has thrush!! on top of her lung problem.

the ER did bloodwork, xrays, cultures, etc and determined she has a VIRAL infection in her lungs and the antibiotics the other Dr gave her were making it worse, in addition to killing all her good bacteria which caused the thrush, major diarhea, yeast infection, migranes, etc.

They gave her more prescriptions for the viral infection, and told her for the thrush to just SWISH W/ LISTERINE!!! Also, she wears dentures and she's worried about the thrush in her dentures.

so I told her about gentian violet, she's gonna get some. She is also going to the clinic to yell at her Dr and see the partnering Dr in the practice about the thrush and other problems, (ER told her to follow up w/ her original Dr).

Ugh, i hate Drs!!

Anyway, its already spreading to her throat b/c she has been swishing w/ listerine like they told her. and she is very worried about re-infecting herself with her dentures. the thrush is all over her palate, which sits on top of her dentures, if that makes sense...basically, the thrush is between her dentures and the roof of her mouth, so she knows her dentures have been exposed to the thrush now.

Will the gentian violet stain her dentures to the point that she will need new ones? or can she boil them or something to get rid of the thrush on the dnetures?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Oooo! I wouldn't use the gv on the dentures! Try grapefruit seed extract, about 10-15 drops diluted in an oz of water. This is what us bfing mamas use to rinse mouthed toys and pacis. She can use this as a mouthwash (much more effective than Listerine anyways) and it can also be taken orally. You can find it in any health food store.

If she's got the thrush in response to abx, taking acidophilus might be recommended. Take it with meals, away from the abx (is she still taking them?), or else the abx will kill the beneficial bacteria in the acidophilus. Take 3x a day for a week until symptoms are gone, then keep taking one cap a day for another month. The oral GSE may do the same trick - but its important to keep up the treatment after the symptoms are gone.

Ouch - a coworker of mine just got over oral thrush. She had it misdiagnosed too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When my sons had thrush last year, I boiled toothbrushes so I would recommend boiling the dentures. What an intersting thread though! I swore last year that my youngest ds got thrush from his denture wearing grandma. Everyone thought I was crazy - lol.

But, ds was about 15 months old at the time, still bf'ing and had not (still has not) ever been on antibiotics and had never had thrush before. I did not have a yeast infection or anything at the time. The only thing out of the ordinary that was happening was we had been visiting the grandparents a lot at the time and grandma was feeding ds bites of her food, off her plate and utensils. I cringed every time I saw it and really tried to avoid letting him be near her when she was eating, but it happened anyway.

So, ds got thrush, which spread to my nipples because we were still bf'ing. And, to top it all off, he was in that phase where everything went in his mouth. Older ds would leave his toothbrush laying around the house when he was done brushing his teeth. My youngest would find it and chew on it, so oldest ds got thrush too! I know some people think it is not contagious, but when I saw oldest ds (also, no antibiotics) with thrush, I knew it was. And, I read on-line that many denture wearers have at least a mild case of thrush and don't know it.

The nystatin from the doctor's office worked on oldest ds. And, I made a mouthwash with green tea and vinegar to follow up with for a couple of weeks after he was done with the nystatin. This was my own little concoction - lol. Plus, we got new toothbrushes after the infection had cleared and have a strict "no sharing" toothrush policy, which means oldest ds had to learn to put his toothbrush away.

The nystatin did not work on youngest ds though and we had to get gentian violet which worked like a charm. And, we used it with our doctor's blessing and his intructions. He was very open to us using this.

And, I finally had to yell at grandma for sharing food with the baby. And, she did listen to me, thankfully.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread - just thought it was interesting that someone posted about dentures and thrush. Oh, I meant to add that she should NOT use the gentian violet on her dentures for sure. It stains like crazy. We got some on our bathroom sink and it took several weeks for it to wear off and that was with regular scrubbing. Hope she feels better soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.