Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ladies, new nursing mama in need of help (NAK)! so far i've stumped the doc & the l.c....waiting to hear back from local lll leader...ds (3 weeks old) has no oral or diaper area symptoms, is gaining & poo/peeing as he should...
its my left breast mostly but right is starting to hurt...it's been a wk now-i orig thought yeast & told dr so-she said use monistat topically-i also started eating more yogurt and taking probiotics at that point. 5 days later, no change so doc said maybe mastitis so take antibiotics and use lansinoh...2 days later and doc referred me to lc who was no help...
the symptoms are red nipples/areola, sharp shooting pain while nursing (but not nec. the whole time or everytime), burning pain in general (ie son was sleeping on my chest and my breast burned the whole time), tender in general, especially in the shower (when the water hits nips). last night i was in tears during one of his many overnight nursing sessions-i'm really afraid of this ruining our nursing relationship-which is the only thing that has gone the way i wanted since the stupid induction/csection (don't get me started on that right now)...
anyway, i have had no flu-like fevery symptoms which makes me think not mastitis? the breasts are hot to the touch but there is no centralized area like a blocked duct that i can specify...
ack. help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like thrush to me. You'll need to treat it systemically. You can either treat it naturally with any of the following: grapefruit seed extract(2 pills 3xs a day w/ meals)(or drops), raw garlic(eaten crushed) LOTS of probiotics. Drink tons of water. If you by GFSE drop then you can make a spray with purified water and a few drops of GFSE oil to use on your nipples to treat them topically. These things along with a low sugar diet should help you within a few days. Of course if your symptoms get worse or you're too exhausted you could just try DIflucan for thrush . Hope this helps. I've had thrush w/easch of my three babies and this was the most effective natural protocol i have found. By the way, you can spray the same mixture in your child's mouth too. Jeannine

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bb, mind?-never! i'll check out the article...
annazari-i do have some gfse and was using it topically alternating it w/the monistat and a vinegar/water solution until started the antibiotics...i'll start using the gfse again-didn't realize could spray in babe's mouth too. thanks!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I agree, it sounds like thrush to me. Your baby does not have to show obvious signs to have it either!
I totally agree with the grapefruit seed extract, this helped me often.
If the other things are not working then you may want to try gentian violet-you swab this over your nipple (stains in a major way so be prepared) and in babies cheeks. This often will work when the other things have not but usually use it as one of the last resorts since it's messy.

As a last resort you may have a DUCTAL yeast infection and the topic stuff won't cut it. You may have to get a yeast med that is prescription -Diflucan. I had to get this after battling it for 2 mos and even though I hated trying a prescription it worked immediately!
good luck
Ann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts