Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is only my third baby, so it's not like i should know anything about thrush.
:LOL

anyway, ds is two months old. he had these small light white-ish spots one the inside of his lower lip. i immediately thought of the thrush horror stories and treated us with genitain (sp?) violet, washed everything, started taking probiotics, etc...

now, two weeks later, i saw the spots on him again! I put a bit of pro-biotic powder on them last night and they were gone this morning.

i looked up pictures of thrush online, and his spots were nothing like the huge white blotches in the pictures. i think they put some really awful cases online as the examples.

so now i am at a loss. the spots are gone but i don't even know if they were thrush. i don't want to deal with treating something he doesn't have, and i also don't want a full-blown case of thrush.

thrush is my nightmare. all the purple, all the laundry...

· Registered
3,767 Posts
Did you try wiping them off? I only say that since sometimes my kids got something that sounds the same and they wiped off for the most part so I knew it was just "old" milk.
But the good news is that whatever yu're doing it's working! Even if it is thrush which can take many forms-as long as you stay on top of it like you are then it should eventually go away but it can take weeks or even more sometimes to completely disappear. Remember that it thrives on sugar and moist environments so cut down on sugar yourself (I am so weak myself) and be sure to change breast pads often etc.
Ann

· Registered
1,093 Posts
It could just be milk curds. From a bit of spit-up, or not swallowing thoroughly. If so, they wipe right off.

Also, there's, what are they called? Something pearls. Koplicks pearls? Painless blisters, nobody knows what causes them, but they look like white spots on baby's gums. I've had two babies with them.

· Registered
759 Posts
My DS and I had thrush. We looked like the textbook case ~ his tongue was white, my nipples felt like they were on fire...the whole 9 yards.
Might not hurt to keep taking the probotics. I'm so scared of getting it again, like you, mostly because of all the purple stuff and all the laundry, so I take them every now and then.
I hope everything clears up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.