Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point do you stop treating the thrush topically and then deal with what is starting to look like an eczema? I have no more pain or itching - just some very dry and irritated looking skin. I think it needs to just have time to heal without further trauma - which is difficult with an active nursling.<br><br>
The Gentian Violet really worked - I only did it for three days. I had to stop the Diflucan b/c it made me feel rotten and I hate to take meds.<br><br>
I am dying to get a hold of some of that Newman's all-purpose ointment but my pharmacist there was no OTC equivalent. Would I have to go see a Dermatologist?

·
Registered
84 Posts
RE: Jack Newman's - my ob wrote script for me - I also did a follow-up appt w/ a derm. You'll need to locate a compounding pharmacist to make your batch.<br><br>
It is so worth the extra hassle to assist w/ healing and keeping the yeast at bay.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up making an appointment for Monday afternoon with my own dermatologist. I go to a GREAT man that treated me throughout my horrible cystic acne days. I haven't seen him since DD was about 4 months old - but they got me in on an "emergency" basis for the first available day he was back in the office.<br><br>
In the meantime I did a formulary search last night on the internet and came up with the basic ingredients of the Miracle Cream and went to the drugstore just now and mixed them all together. I think the key ingredient for me is going to be the anti-bacterial. The skin is cracked again and I think that is where it all started. I am still not even convinced I had yeast to begin with - I think I had SOME yeast - after all the nipple trauma. Right now we are going on two-months from when I first started noticing problems.<br><br>
I should be able to survive the weekend using my homemade ointment.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">At what point do you stop treating the thrush topically and then deal with what is starting to look like an eczema?</td>
</tr></table></div>
That's a really good question! Sounds like you've got sensitive skin to start with?<br><br>
I got thrush and used Diflucan, ketocanozole OTC, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Jack Newman's ointment.... and got rid of the thrush but my skin suffered from using all these chemicals. Even though they killed the thrush, it caused me eczema. I had to stop using all of them, it was really horrible for a about a week, skin peeled off several times but then it was ok. A lot of these ointments are made with ingredients that are quite irritating and drying. When the skin is already irritated by the thrush, your skin is even more sensitive to the other chemicals. It's a vicious cycle. Don't use any ointments more than is prescribed and use them sparingly.<br><br>
You'll beat it in the end!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts