Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nipples have been killing me lately, I have tiny red patches right above them on my areolas and I got a glance into DDs mouth today (very rare considering shes teething) and the whole inside of her mouth is covered in white. her tounge included. Is this thrush???

Anything I can do for it other than yogurt and acidophulus(sp?)???

its even on the inside of her lips, all over her gums inner cheeks etc.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Can you wipe off the white coating in her mouth? if so, what does it look like underneath? Thrush either can't be wiped off, or if it does wipe away, the area underneath is red and sore looking.

The irritated areolas can be either thrush or exzema.

There's a whole slew of things to try if it's thrush, but if it's coating the entire inside of dd's mouth I'd say go tough to begin with, and get some gentian violet. It's in a small brown bottle like iodine, and is deep dark purple stuff. Dip a cotton swab in and swab the inside of dd's mouth. Use a new swab to do your nipples. Don't double dip! Repeat for three days. Your nipples and dd's mouth will be stained dark purple, but it works well, and fast. The thrush will be gone before the purple is, though.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
the mamas in the breastfeeding forum should be able to help, so I'm moving this thread over there. I've always had great results taking acidophilus/probiotics and grapefruit seed extract.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree, sounds like thrush to me. The gentian violet was the only thing that really got rid of it for us. We used the 1% gentian violet. I had to get it from the pharmicist, but I didn't need a perscription.
I only swabbed my DS's mouth once, the fist time, the rest of the time he was getting it whenever he nursed. I used it 2x a day morning and night for 4 days. I hope you have some purple clothes to wear for the next few days. This stuff is messy, my DS even had it on his socks! But it works so well, I will never try the other medicines again b/c it was just a waste of time and money for us.

There is a good bit of info over on kellymom.com that tells you about how to clean everything, etc.

Hope you get rid of it quick!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.