Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to get rid of my lo's thrush? I'm not nursing; he's bottle-fed due to cleft palate. I boil the bottles between each and every feeding and wash toys.
He took two rounds of Nystatin but it's still there!

· Registered
689 Posts
Diflucan (fluconazole) is available in a liquid oral solution for infants. Nystatin does not work very well for thrush even though it is often prescribed. Diflucan is much better--in one randomized controlled trial it was 100% effective. It has to be taken daily for at least a week; it is recommended to continue taking it for 1 week AFTER all symptoms are gone. Ask your physician for a prescription for it.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My doc did prescribe this and the insurance company is requiring a prior authorization so now we're just waiting while the thrush gets worse! It's ridiculous!

· Registered
2,407 Posts
GSE, vinegar and Gentian Violet finally killed it for us. We had it for months. I think we had it so long because I have two nurslings and we just kept passing it around though. Try the Gentian Violet while you are waiting on the Diflucan. It really did help.

· Registered
2,296 Posts
It's not grapeseed oil

GrapeFRUIT seed Extract. That's what yer looking for.

ETA: And it does work great!! Works on a lot of other stuff too and it's good to have around.

· Registered
82 Posts
Nystatin did not work for us. We did gentian violet (bought at pharmacy) dipped a q-tip in it and swabbed mouth once a day for four days, and it cleared it out. Also you might want to try an infant probiotic powder either wipe powder in mouth or mix with milk or water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.