Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My son is a little over three months and has never used a pacifier.  His feeding routine has changed alot over the past few weeks...eating less often, but more heartily, not pacifying on the breast as long, and so forth.  He has taken to sucking on his thumbs/fingers.  I used to take that as a sign he wanted to eat, but if I put him on the breast when I see him doing that, now, often he fusses and just pulls away to suck on his fingers.  Is it normal for him to just pacify using his fingers, instead of on the breast?  Should I still try to put him on the breast each time I see him do this?  I really don't want to over think it, but I am having a hard time telling when he is actually hungry now.  Keeping in mind he is fully thriving, 17+ pounds already.</p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>Mine does this when he wants to suck but doesn't want milk.  I have lots and lots of milk, so there is no sucking without milk at the breast!  But he also does this when hungry, so I always give him the opportunity to nurse, and if he refuses (by pushing away and inserting his thumb!) then I respect his wishes!</p>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks for sharing--it is helpful to hear!</p>

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
<p>Moved to main Breastfeeding forum per Breastfeeding Challenges forum guidelines...</p>

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
<p>DS is also a thumb sucker; when he is done nursing he pulls off the breast and inserts thumb. I for one think it is fantastic he has a way to soothe himself that costs me nothing and we can't lose! He only does it when sleepy, and has since he was about your LO's age, and he is now 12 months. I wouldn't be concerned. If he is hungry vs wanting comfort, he will not be satisfied with his thumb and he will let you know he is hungry some other way. at that age, DS rooted alot. now he dives down my shirt! or up it, depending on his position at the time.</p>

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
<p>Is he drooling a lot? My son began teething at 3 months and had his hands in his mouth a lot (4 teeth by 4 months).</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts