Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted on a freecycle group in my area that they got a coupon on their reciept for a free can of nestle good start formula.

UGH! So they can't hook enough people by giving them a few bucks off now they are doing free cans.

·
Registered
0 Posts
the cupons are generated by what you buy- you buy a can of enfamil you get a cupon for carnation good start
you buy a gerber graduate meal you get a cupon for gerber puffs. That person bought some type of baby product-more than likely formula. Its not safeways fault, its the consumers

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelleyMom2in2
the cupons are generated by what you buy- you buy a can of enfamil you get a cupon for carnation good start
you buy a gerber graduate meal you get a cupon for gerber puffs. That person bought some type of baby product-more than likely formula. Its not safeways fault, its the consumers
I wonder what they bought. They did comment in the post that they don't have a baby that is why they were giving the coupon away.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Its not safeways fault, its the consumers
What bothers me about that is just becuase I happen to buy wipes or powder for my baby doesn't mean that I want formula.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, I bought wipes (easier to use when traveling) and got stupid formula coupons.
They try to get you at every chance they can get. It's sad, because that's more garbage for our poor landfills.....

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Don't blame the consumer- blame the formula company that paid to have those coupons printed up whenever somebody buys something that they consider to be a "baby product."

I suppose you could also blame the supermarket for accepting the advertising, but bear in mind that it's the formula company behind it all.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what bothered me most is that they are now giving away FREE whole cans of formula. So that mom that went to get the soothing breastpads or lanisoh because she is having sore nipples gets the formula coupon for a FREE whole can of formula thinks...well I will get it "just in case" then starts the downward spiral.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I've heard that the supermarkets themselves don't manage the coupon thing. It's another company that they hire to do it. Not that they're not responsible, but they might not know exactly what's going on.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Its not safeways fault, its the consumers
This confuses me, and I would love for you to elaborate. How is it the customer's fault? For buying baby things at the store?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I hate Safeway, er. .... I mean, Unsafeway as we like to call it here,:LOL

I have hated it for awhile now. And don't shop there. We only go there to get koolaid for wool-dying and $1 movies from the movie machine

It's not the consumers fault for buying baby stuff, it is the companies and marketing people, and the big kahunas with the bucks to pay for all these things.
I agree though with OP though on this point: Poor little Jane Do who has PPD, shopping at Safeway for diapers and pacifiers and hard liquor doesn't need any more encouragement in the wrong direction!
Not to say all formula buying is wrong- you get my point.I am talking about the uneducated, in these matters.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
This confuses me, and I would love for you to elaborate. How is it the customer's fault? For buying baby things at the store?
If people didnt USE the cupons there would be no market for them. Whoever was freecycling them was just helping the company. If people dont use a product its not going to be made anymore right? Everyone blames formula companies for people using formula. Yes they market in all the bad ways but if people didnt use the formula or take the bait on the marketing do you really think formula companies would continue on wasting money if it wasnt profitable. It all boils down to consumers. No market no product. Dont use the cupons, they wont make them KWIM?

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I guess I understand what you are saying but I disagree,

Not everyone who gets a coupon is going to use it.
Some people who gets the coupons will use them, either very intentionally or in a moment of desparation.
And apparently, people weren't using the $XX off coupons, if they are now upping the ante to giving away entire cans of formula.

I just don't see how a mama going in to buy breast pads can be blamed if she is then given a formula coupon.

I do completely agree about not freecycling them, though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh I completly agree not everyone will use the cupons-DS1 weaned while I was pregnant (the boys are 15mos apart) so formula was my only choice after that. So yes I did use cupons-until I ran out then I switched to a no-name brand

Im not blaming a woman buying breastpads, Im blaming the woman who is using a cupon to buy formula (guilty here
y: )

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've gotten the formula coupons when I've bought breast pad and breast milk storage bags. Yeah, those 2 products are definitely pro-formula right?

I just say no thanks and leave them with the cashier.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
That's actually a really good idea, Samjm!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjm
I've gotten the formula coupons when I've bought breast pad and breast milk storage bags. Yeah, those 2 products are definitely pro-formula right?

I just say no thanks and leave them with the cashier.
Throw them in the trash. If you leave them with the cashier, she'll most likely either use them or give them to someone she knows who can, or give them to another customer (unless she's one of us and just throws them in the trash anyway :LOL ) Some stores have a basket or a table up front where the unused coupons get put. Others leave them out on the shelf near the product. So I'd crumble them up and throw them in a trash can.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
What I liked about her idea was her letting them know she didn't want or need them. Tell her no thank you and then tear them up and then put them in the trash.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So just recycle the paper. When I buy diapers, I get coupons for free baby food that I am not going to ever use or buy. I just put them in my recycling bin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccerchic21
What bothers me about that is just becuase I happen to buy wipes or powder for my baby doesn't mean that I want formula.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts