Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelleyMom2in2
Its not safeways fault, its the consumers
This confuses me, and I would love for you to elaborate. How is it the customer's fault? For buying baby things at the store?

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
I guess I understand what you are saying but I disagree,

Not everyone who gets a coupon is going to use it.
Some people who gets the coupons will use them, either very intentionally or in a moment of desparation.
And apparently, people weren't using the $XX off coupons, if they are now upping the ante to giving away entire cans of formula.

I just don't see how a mama going in to buy breast pads can be blamed if she is then given a formula coupon.

I do completely agree about not freecycling them, though.

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
OK, here is my standard rant on why that's not a good idea.

Those coupons are coded with your info. If you use your shopper's club card, if they come from the company, whatever, your personal info (like the fact that you bought breastfeeding related stuff and are breastfeeding) are encoded into them. When the coupons are used (even by someone else) the only message the formula company gets is "Hey look! We got another breastfeeding mama to buy some formula- this marketing tactic really works."

This is not good for anyone. It gives formula company's the OK to market aggressively to breastfeeding mamas. It drives up the cost of formula for all formula feeding mamas, including the ones with a genuine need for formula.

Please, please, pretty please, just throw them away.

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2
It is well known that you get more samples and coupons as a bfeeding mom than as a ffeeding one. The coupons are coded and once you use one they stop or the value plummets. BUT, if you don't use them they keep sending you high value ones hoping to finally "get" you. So, as soon as I knew my neighbor was ffeeding I saved up all the coupons ("checks") and gave them to her at once so she had a whole stash of high value ones. She was going to ffeed anyway and I would rather the $ was in her pocket than Nestle's.
While I wholeheartedly support any efforts to stick it to the formula companies, I would respectfully disagree that this is an effective way to do it. SOMEONE is paying, and it's not them. They are working the cost of those "freebies" into the cost of the formula. In the end, your friend you are trying to help is going to be the one hurt by the rising costs.

Hope this makes sense- just sat through thirty minutes of tuneless children screaming out vacation church school songs.

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
Then I guess we just agree to disagree. I feel like it's worse to give them away and send the message to the formula companies that their aggressive advertising tactics work, which drives up the cost of formula, and encourages them to market so heavily to breastfeeding women.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.