Mothering Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,662 Posts
I shop at Safeway, King Soopers/Kroger and Albertsons. At every store i have bought breastpads and babyfood, and almost every other receipt comes out with a formula coupon, free formula or discount. i have NEVER once got a coupon for free or discounted breastpads, though, even though thats what i buy weekly. IF they were really tracking our purchases, i should be swimming in free breastpads. But no, they see 'baby items' and automatically crank out the "FORMULA! FORMULA! FORMULA!" banner.

Lisa

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
While I wholeheartedly support any efforts to stick it to the formula companies, I would respectfully disagree that this is an effective way to do it. SOMEONE is paying, and it's not them. They are working the cost of those "freebies" into the cost of the formula. In the end, your friend you are trying to help is going to be the one hurt by the rising costs.

Hope this makes sense- just sat through thirty minutes of tuneless children screaming out vacation church school songs.
Though that is true on a global scale (it is ffeeding mothers who are hurt by increased prices) that is *not* true on an individual basis. Take it to the extreme--- nurses who work in pediatrians offices (and pediatricians) are often given a full year supply of formula free. Now, that "free" formula is counted into the cost of formula, pushing the price up. But, does that specific person actually pay more? No.

Additionally, the more it becomes that the advertising/free samples are not reaching their target audience, the more they waste their $$$. If there was a large enough disconnect, they would eventually stop sending out free samples.

Lastly, I think it is a total crock that prices would go down if advertising went down. It *should* but if you look at how much they are inflated anyway,
can you tell I don't trust "them" at all?

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Safeway does this to me too. I don't even have to buy baby related stuff to get the formula or diaper coupons on my reciept. I dont know how they can associate some of the things I buy to having a toddler or baby.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.