Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have stage iv thyroid cancer. i have had my thyroid and 60 lymph nodes surgically removed. based on biopsy of those nodes, the radiation oncologist is recommending radioactive iodine treatment as soon as possible, not in a year like i was hoping. if i dont get the treatment, the cancer could spread and i could die. i was wanting to nurse until my son chose to wean or age three, whichever came first.<br>
now, i have one month to wean him. he is just nine months this week. im thankful i had this long. anyone have any tips or advice? i have no idea how to quickly wean a baby.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
First of all, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Big hugs to you. <3<br><br>
Does baby take a bottle? Does he use a pacifier? I haven't weaned at that age but I have had friends who bottle fed and just started switching to bottle more often. I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help. I'm sure someone else will chime in...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he hasnt had a bottle or pacifier in eight months. he now refuses a bottle or pacifier.he absolutely detests formula now. he will sip at a sippy cup with water. is it too early to try to get him on just solids? hes had about half a serving each day since six months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would ask his pedi if you should try cows milk or something like pedisure in his sippy. I would also try to up the solids if he will have it. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Sending you lots of light and good thoughts.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I wonder if you could find a breast milk donor until he hits a year? Then maybe try the switch to cows or goat milk.<br><br>
Is there a La Leche League in your area? Maybe they can offer some ideas and support.

·
Registered
466 Posts
<p>Talk to his pediatrician, but he's pretty little to wean to solids only. He'll probably need some form of milk (formula or breastmilk). You might try having someone else offer a bottle with you not there; sometimes that works better for people.</p>

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
<p>First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. That must be so stressful. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would contact your local La Leche League for support with weaning. It's good to have a month to do it. That'll give you a chance to cut back on the amount of nursing and make it more gentle on you both. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here is some information from kellymom on weaning: <a href="http://kellymom.com/category/ages/weaning/wean-how/" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://kellymom.com/category/ages/weaning/wean-how/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would not start him on Pedisure, as another poster suggested. It has a lot of sugar. When I used to work at WIC, many of the children who were prescribed Pediasure for weight gain ate less and less real food because they filled up on that.</p>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good to know about the pediasure. It makes sense that little ones would fill up on that instead of real food. Hopefully LLL and the babes pedi will have some good ideas for the OP.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh my goodness ... My heart goes out to you.<br><br>
I agree with pps about trying to get local support.<br><br>
I also wonder if you could try offering two thirds breast milk and one third formula in a sippy cup to start with to see if he would take it (it will hopefully taste much better to him) and if he does drink it, you could gradually shift the quantities in favour of formula and ultimately formula only at the end of the month.<br><br>
You'll both probably need loads of cuddles and baby wearing and fresh air during this tough time.<br><br>
Wishing you the very best of success with the treatment and recovery. Positive wishes going your way from Ireland.<br><br>
Take care

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone! i am trying a few different formulas (babys only & earths best) with breastflow bottles. hes taking a little more solid food. he has his nine month checkup on friday- will talk to his pediatrician then. hopefully everything goes well and he isnt too traumatized by no nursing and no mom for three days. i still feel like crap for having to switch to formula, but ill get over it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wishing you the very best of luck and a swift recovery. It sounds like your little son is a wonderful focus for you during this tough time. He's lucky to have a wonderful mother! Best wishes. :-D

·
Registered
607 Posts
<p>I have read lots of stories about older EBF babies willingly taking Similac Organic. It tastes sweeter, like breastmilk. I had to abruptly wean a 13 month old and we were old enough for cows milk but he still wouldn't take it (and he was still quite dependent on milk/liquids) so we resorted to adding chocoate ovaltine on the advice of a BTDT friend. He had a bit of time adjusting to not having comfort nurse time, but he got over that in just a few day. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wish you well in your treatment and recovery. Don't let guilt bother you for a second. Your baby wants a healthy mom more than he wants your milk, even though he can't understand or say that just yet! </p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts