Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So I've had hypothyroidism for several years.  I have been taking thyroid hormones and feel good.  In fact, I feel very good right now (besides being anxious about the pregnancy).  I asked my doc to measure my levels now just to check them out.  I fully expected them to look good because I feel good.  Well, the FT3 looks fine, but the FT4 is below range.  I have been taking a combination of Armour (T4/T3) and Cytomel (T3 only) for a long time now.  I feel better with more Cytomel so that's how we dosed it, but I think it lowered my T4.  It's not a big deal for me, but I'm worried it's bad for the baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So the new plan is to increase the Armour and lower the Cytomel to make sure I have more T4 just in case that's more important for the baby than T3.  So it's an easily fixable problem by increasing the T4, but I'm freaking out that I already messed with the baby.  I'm only 5 weeks and 0 days so the brain is just barely starting to form.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone have any opinions to offer?  I actually know an incredible amount about thyroid (I own an online site), but I have very little knowledge about thyroid and pregnancy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone have low thyroid in early pregnancy that was corrected early on, and resulted in a happy and healthy little one?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
<p>I've been hypo for my last three pregnancies. I've just stuck to my Armour and it's usually fine. Just have them monitor you regularly. Being off a bit shouldn't hurt. It's the big hypo dips that matter. I get bloodwork drawn about every other appointment right now (every 8 weeks or so).</p>

·
Registered
240 Posts
<p>I'm not familiar with those meds that you're on.  I had Grave's Disease in 2000, was treated with RAI and subsequently became hypothyroid.  I've been on Synthroid/Levothyroxine/Eltroxin ever since.  I've been hypo at the start and last trimester of every pregnancy (I'm currently on #3) and have never had an issue.  It does, of course, cause more tiredness, but my babies never had any issues and had normal thyroid levels during their regular newborn screening (no thyroid issues since either). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's important to have your thyroid monitored regularly (every 2 months).  There's no point in doing it more frequently as medication changes require a length of time to have an effect.  My thyroid is stable currently, I'm in my 2nd trimester, but I expect they may need to increase my dose again in the third trimester.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
<p>I'm sure the babe will be fine. T3 is the usable form T4 is just the storage form.  I too feel much better having T3/T4 treatment rather than just T4.  I had to fight to get on Armour instead of Synthroid.</p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thanks everyone.  The additional comments are really reassuring.  I am less worried now.  Thanks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Just wanted to update that my labs look great now.  In less than a week, it looks like there is plenty of thyroid to go around.  Phew!  One less stressor!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts