Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on another thread the idea that thyroid trouble causes m/c was discussed.<br><br>
What is the relationship between TEMPERATURE (change?) and thyroid problems?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
659 Posts
You mean the relationship between body temps and thyroid problems?<br><br>
My doctor has me on T3, which is a relatively overlooked thyroid hormone. He did this primarily because of my chronically low body temp (averaging mid 97), which he isn't convinced caused my miscarriages, but thinks may contribute...<br><br>
The actual condition I'm being treated for is called Wilson's Syndrome. Google that to see how controversial it is!<br><br>
But after a few weeks of T3 and adjusting the doses, my body temp is actually normal. It has never been normal. So there may be something to this.<br><br>
I do have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune thyroid disease that is associated with higher than normal risk of miscarriage. But my TSH and T4 levels have been remarkably normal for years.<br><br>
Why do you ask?

·
Registered
134 Posts
low temps, long or irregular periods, weight gain (inability to lose weight), depression, fatigue can all be indications of low thryoid (hypothyroid). untreated hypothyroidism can contribute to miscarriage.<br><br>
i had thyroid cancer and a thyroidectomy in 2005 and have been on a synthetic thryroid hormone combo since. according to my endocrinologist as long as your meds have you in the normal thyroid hormone ranges a pregnancy should progress normally. he feels that my thyroid disease was incidental in relation to my m/c.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bbt is usually just above 97 with my O spikes around 98. I have to be half-dead to actually run a fever. I do suffer from depression and fatigue. How do you get a CLEAR hypothyroid diagnosis? The docs always manually check my thyroid, but I don't know that I've had levels tested.<br><br>
I've been like this for years and did carry a baby to term in 2004. But I did lose a baby in the 1st tri on August 1. So I was just curious.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My bbt was the same as yours---it would only hit 98 after O, and not always.<br><br>
But I am not, and have never been hypothyroid. Nothing can be simple, you know?<br><br>
You are saying your thyroid has been palpated, but you haven't had the lab tests done? Interesting. The lab tests are the first place to start.<br><br>
Check out <a href="http://thyroid.about.com/" target="_blank">http://thyroid.about.com/</a>. It will give you some food for thought, and they list top thyroid doctors from each state. It helps to go to someone who stays up on current recommendations and research, and is willing to look at all aspects of your thyroid hormones, not just the basics.<br><br>
I'm sorry you lost your baby. Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts