Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told before that my thyroid levels were slightly off, high, I think. Then I would retest in 2 weeks and they would be "normal" this has happend twice to me. In the past couple of months I've been feeling a "lump" in my throat during certain times of the day. Sometimes it won't go away and other times I don't notice it. Could this be my thyroid swelling? I noticed the more stress I'm under, the more I notice it. I feel silly going to the dr. if this lump is all in my head but I'm starting to wonder. I've been dealing with anxiety, moodiness, a lot of stress, etc. so I guess it could just be a reaction to the stress. Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hmmm. . . it wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid checked just to make sure. If your TSH is 3.0 or higher (indicating underactive thyroid), med research shows that it is best to supplement though this is seldom practiced. I would find out exactly what your levels are and go from there.

When I was preg, I had a constant lump in my throat that wouldn't go away. I could swallow fine though it really felt like there was something in there. I finally went to the dr. I was worried that it was my thyroid since I am hypothyroid, but it wasn't. After talking with a couple of friends, I realized that it was a form of acid reflux. I never had heartburn or other typical symptoms, but it made total since. That's another possibility that you might want to look into.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i've been reading up on thyroid stuff recently because i'm hypothyroid and feel like my meds are not working for some reason and it seems like i remember reading something about a lump in the throat...wish i could remember where. sorry.

you could be borderline hypo (i think that's what high levels mean). are you fatigued all the time (even though anxious), achey, brittle hair, irritable, scratchy voice? i think those are some of the symptoms.

i think it would be good to ask your doc. it's not the kind of thing you want to ignore if it is a problem especially if you feel like you're having symptoms.

good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suffered for years before being properly diagnosed with Graves disease. Keep an eye on your thyroid. It can affect so many things. I have extreme anxiety problems as a result of my hyperthyroidism. Do not feel silly going to your GP. Make them listen to you, and make them test. Even if your levels are within the normal range, do some research and treat what could possibly be hyperthyroidism for you. Not everyones thyroid is the same. Be sure to educate yourself. There are so many doctors who know very little about thyroid disease. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is so frustrating because it seems like some drs. think certain levels are "normal" and others do not. Plus--as one of the pp said about acid reflux/GERD...I'm starting to wonder about that. I read online that that could cause a feeling of a lump in your throat. Mine can happen anytime but mostly while I'm eating or right before I go to bed and am laying down and especially during a very stressful day.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My senior year of college I had that sort of a feeling too... then a few months later I woke up and I had a very visible lump sticking out of my neck! It was one of the scariest things I have had happen to me.

Mine turned out to be a cyst on my thyroid. Have no idea why it developed like that... but they just monitored it for a while, and they did biopsy it (it was fine) It kept growing and eventually got to where it was close to obstructing my airway and they had to take it out along with half of my thyroid because it was embedded in it.

That's an extreme example obviously... but I would keep an eye on it. If you feel comfortable going to the doc that's fine but unless you are having other symptoms of any kind (fatigue/hyperactivity, weight gain/loss, or anything else that just seems off) I probably would wait a bit... but that's just me. I didn't really have any other symptoms when I first felt like I had a lump in my throat so I didn't feel it was necessary to go. Obviously if it worries you I'd go have it checked out

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I tend to over-worry and overthink things. So, I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what? This past 6months-1 year have been some of the most stressful months of my life and I think I just haven't been handling it that great (starting to feel a little more relaxed now, thankfully). I also got to thinking about the GERD thing--back in December I got very sick (stomach virus or bacteria...) where I vomitted for 12 hours multiple times every hour (Sorry for TMI!) and then started feeling better but for about a month after that I had stomach pain and felt like I had acid reflux and heartburn especially in the mornings. I still feel like I have heartburn (which I really had never experienced prior to this) every once in a while but now I wonder if it has developed into this lump thing while eating rich or spicy foods. Maybe I should just go to the dr. and let them deal with all this. I worry too much about all the what ifs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts