Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all<br>
So my latest battle is my baby Sydney has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. We did the thyroid scan and uptake about 1 month ago, and at first the tech said she has no thyroid (what!?!?) then she said, oh it is nestled in her neck, just under the chin. (whew!)<br>
Then bloodwork indicates her levels are very low (t3/t4/tsh). So this doc prescribes .37mcg of synthroid. She's been on it for a month, and seems to be displaying signs of hyperthyroidism.<br>
Sidenote: drawing blood from a 2mo is really really really really NOT FUN!<br>
I have Grave's disease and had a complete thyroidectomy in 98. I am still struggling to get my meds right, now I have to worry about my babys?<br>
(Sorry for the rant of frustration)<br>
Anyway-anyone out there dealing with the same thing? On a NATURAL level, how have you been treating yourself/babies with thryoid issues?<br>
Thanks for your responses!<br><br>
Warmest Regards

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hi,<br><br>
I just wanted to let you know your not alone. My baby is hypothyroid too. She was born already severely hypothyroid. It actually affected her development in utero.<br><br>
We had a heck of a time getting the NICU to test her thyroid. They tested all sorts of weird rare problems, but wouldn't do a simple blood test. We didn't get to take her home till she was 3 weeks because of how long it took them to treat her. She just kept getting worse and worse until she eventually needed a feeding tube before they finally tested her. Their failure cost us breastfeeding. When they finally did test her, her TSH was over 900. Yes, 900! Before she was born, my endo told me to have her tested asap, but the NICU wouldn't listen to me.<br><br>
I have Hashimotos (the autoimmune disorder that causes hypothyroidism). But that is not why my baby is hypo. The Hashimotos antibody is not known to cross the placenta. I also have a relatively rare thyroid blocking antibody and that antibody DOES cross the placenta. That antibody suppressed her thyroid from generating its own hormones. So for dd, her case could be transient (it might only be temporary until my antibody in her "burns off". The only way to know for sure is to stop the synthroid which they don't do until she is 3 (she is almost 9 months now). Having the thyroid blocking antibody does not mean that all my children will be hypothyroid. Women with that antibody can have hypo, or hyper thyroid or normal babies. Since you have an autoimmune disorder, you might want to see if you have developed a thyroid blocking antibody.<br><br>
With the ordeal that we went thru with the NICU, my endo told me if I have problems getting bloodtests for any future children to contact him and he will make sure it gets done ASAP even though he does not do pediatrics.<br><br>
.375 is the typical dosage they give babies to start with, but they should change it based on her lab work. They do like to keep babies on the high normal side with respect to their T4 levels. What symptoms of hyperthyroidism is she experiencing?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow- what an ordeal!<br>
As far as symptoms, and I am pretty familiar with them, she has sweaty palms, sensitivity to sound and heat intolerance. She nurses until she throws up...no shutoff valve (lol) but my other daughter did that for a few months also. She is only 2 months old and weighs 14lbs 3oz. Now, I don't think weight is a big deal. She should be sleeping at least 18-20 hrs a day but does between 12-15hrs. I'm not trying to put her on any schedule but infants need sleep. Plus often times during the day, she gets a very upset tummy. She passes a ton of gas and hollers from the pain. It wakes her up from her sleep as well. My ped. thinks its my diet. I think its the drugs.<br>
She is strictly breastfed, cosleeps, and I wear her as often as possible.<br>
The struggle I have is in CT, especially around my area, there aren't very many endos, Ive been through 6 of the 12 in state. Whats worse is a handlful work in pediatric endocronology. And those doctors are located in the department of infectious deseases!(YIKES) of the area hospital.<br>
Now, I'll suck it up and go, but I want to find someone who will listen to me and will try alternatives to my health as well as my babys.<br>
My personal endo won't bother supplimenting me with T3 when research indicates this may improve my way of life dramatically! I am still riding the roller coaster of Synthroid!<br>
(Thanks for your input!)<br>
WR

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
very interesting. I have a hard time getting dd to sleep much too. She just does not want to nap and really fights bedtime. She is high normal with her T4 and the doc wants to keep her there. She is almost always warm. I rarely worry about her getting cold (I'm the one that's always cold). DD startle with noises alot, but we were told it might be because she has mild hearing loss and sounds that are not loud for normal people may seem loud to her).<br><br>
At 2 months, DD drank formula like mad. She was taking at least 4 ounces every 2-2.5 hours. Then spitting up a lot. Come to find out she had reflux. What happens is their throat hurts from the reflux, so they nurse more to soothe the throat and it makes a cycle. Sometimes after eating, she would just cry and scream and I knew something was wrong. We though she was having tummy problems from the formula and tried a couple of different kinds. Then her ped said she was spitting up so much because we were just over feeding her and told us not to feed her as much (to make her go 3 hours between feedings). We did that one evening. I held her while she screamed and cried to eat and kept giving her a pacifier, kept dipping it in water so she'd have something. I don't know how long it lasted before she finally feel asleep. She woke up early in the morning and we fed her and she started spitting up and crying again. I called him that morning and told him that there was no way that was from over feeding when she had gone so long between feedings. He put her on Zantac and letus to feed her on demand again.<br><br>
She's alway been a farter, but it's never bothered her.<br><br>
As far as the T3, I found an endo that would persscribe it for me and it has been a BIG help. I hope you find the right endo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts