Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow WAHM's! I have worked with kids, adults, people with special needs, coaching, teaching, first aid -- lots of hands on stuff since I took my first job as a lifeguard years ago. I'm an Early Childhood Educator and have worked on and off in centres for the last five years. Right now I'm a single mom and take care of another little guy during the day. I hate it! Haha, I've only started two weeks ago!

I always took jobs that I loved as opposed to jobs that pay well. It was all fine and dandy until recently. I don't make more than $5 per hour for a 9 hour day. I could pack my house full of kids but I prefer quality of life. I have to ration my cheese and my toddler and I are sleeping on an air matress. I look like a bum because I can't afford a hair cut and can't buy myself new clothes.

I have a very strong urge to go back to school. I am very interested in web design. I also have a strong desire to do business management or financial planning. All of these things I'm naturally good at (well we'll see about the web design!) I actually Googled jobs that pay more than $60000 per year to see what came up. Unfortunately web design doesn't quite make that much, haha.

I am a mom first and whatever I go to school for will be something I can do from home. I can only handle school in small doses, the web design course I'm looking at now is 9 months. I don't want to work hands on with people, I've decided that part of my life is over
I want a job where I can still make a difference but from the comfort of sitting on my butt

So my question is, what can I go to school for that will make me rich -- like $60000/year rich? Superficial question I know but I consider this a gift to myself. I earned it. I want to have all sorts of cheese in my fridge -- Brie cheese, Swiss cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese and pack my closet full of Value Village clothes -- I will never give up Value Village

I want to consider as many jobs as possible before I make a decision so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
wathcing this thread as I just spent today in an orientation and searching for a new "career"

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hey ladies.

I thought I would recommend a site that has been very helpful to me on my journey to authentic living. I don't agree with everything on the site, but there is so much there that I cannot imagine that someone on this journey couldn't gain some sort of value and insight from it.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...ver-get-a-job/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...k-to-paycheck/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...s-into-habits/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/03/leveling-up/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...g-a-recession/

These are a start and once you have a feel for what is beneficial for you (if anything), you'll be able to pick through the titles and find what you're looking for. He's been doing this for a long-ish time and had much success.

I'll be starting my home business in two weeks and I am so excited. My dh is working at a job (a socially conscious one with worthwhile investment of effort and time, but still a job and still for someone else), but he'll be coming home to do what expresses his gifts and abilities more authentically hopefully by the end of this year. He has a lot of fear issues about it, but wants to do it anyway, so he's working through them.

I think you can be rich if you want to be and are willing to give commensurate value for the compensation you want to receive. I think the shortest way to do that is to be self-directed in your pursuits. I think the longest route is to go back to school and then work for someone else making them rich first. Either way is valid if its the path you desire and that benefits you or even if it doesn't, if you learn from it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
Hey ladies.

I think you can be rich if you want to be and are willing to give commensurate value for the compensation you want to receive. I think the shortest way to do that is to be self-directed in your pursuits. I think the longest route is to go back to school and then work for someone else making them rich first. Either way is valid if its the path you desire and that benefits you or even if it doesn't, if you learn from it.

For me the shortest route is going back to school. Honestly, I need the student loan... I'm a single mom starting over from scratch and my eyes welled up in the grocery store the other day b/c I don't know where my next grocery bill is coming from. I agree with not working for someone else and going to school is a step towards that. I'm really craving education right now.

I've been to Steve Pallin's blog before; I like his ideas a lot.

You and your husband have an exciting adventure ahead. Enjoy. It sounds exciting!

zonapellucida an orientation looks like a good idea. I'm going to check out the yellow pages for any jobs that look like fun!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I was a single mom when I went back to school and thought the same way that you are thinking. The student loan seemed like money I needed at the time. Honestly, student loans are never enough to live on. I thought I could supplement with food stamps, but they wouldn't give me food stamps unless I also worked 20 hours a week. And then there's paying them off, even if you don't find work. Even if you end up hating the line of work that you paid to get an education in.

I really believe that you should pursue something that you truly enjoy. Find a way to make money doing that. You don't have to work for someone else and have your career defined by others' careers. I know plenty of people who started their own graphic design firms, from their laptop in a tiny apartment, and now employ a team of offsite graphic designers and make a lot of money. I also know a few people who started an at-home childcare business at home, then expanded to a site, and now have other people running things. The possibilities are endless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.