Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 16 months, and I hadn't even started thinking about potty training yet. But this past week, she has started patting her butt every time she needs a diaper change. At first it was just when she pooped, but then she started doing it when she wet also. Is this a sign that she is ready to start potty training? Any other mamas of 16 month olds potty training already?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes!

Start.

My DD was a bit younger than your DD and so we went ahead with naked time, lots of potty use at regular intervals and then onto to panties.

By 19 months she was 100% diaper-free, night and day.

I really like the book Diaper-Free Before 3.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would buy a potty chair just to start the conversation but not push anything. Let her lead the way but have it ready when she asks or you think she may need to go. My DD likes to sit on her potty when I go to the restroom. We'll talk about it but I'm not pushing anything yet.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Start. If she's giving you that kind of cue, it's worth it to give her a chance. My DD essentially potty trained herself around the same age as your DD. She did have accidents for several months, but that was fine with us. With spring coming, it's a great time for nakey time which helps so much.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
Yes!

Start.

I really like the book Diaper-Free Before 3.
:

We started at 16 months with great results.
My ds is now 27 months and still wears a diaper at night, but it is often dry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I got Diaper Free Before 3 fro the library, and I am now wishing I had gotten started even earlier. But that's okay. I'll know for next time...

We're going to get a potty chair and introduce it gently and see where it goes from there.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Ok Diaper Free before 3 is now on my list for the next time I goto the library
Sounds like a great book... I'm planning on getting DS potty trained (I hope) by August, starting as soon as it warms up a bit more and we can do nekkid time without having DS be freezing cold!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.