Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad, but so happy we were able to go this long. But, it is time to wean. I have not slept for more than 3 hours at a time since he was born.

I am going to search this forum for suggestions and stories - as I am very nervous. DS loves nursing and I am having a hard time imagining him being ok with stopping. When I have mentioned it in the past, he grabs on and sucks as hard as he can while nodding his head, "no."

He is a very persistent little guy who always wants his way - so I am very nervous about this.

Anyway, if you have anything to share...advice, etc... I'd love to hear.

Thanks,
Jennifer

· Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Yay for nursing to three years!
:
If you are sad about it, have you considered nightweaning but still nursing during the day? It sounds like the weaning is so you can sleep more - I totally get that! Until my little one was two it was quite rare that I would get more than an hour and a half of sleep at a time. I got to the point I was just so physically exhausted I couldn't do the all night nursing anymore. Quite simply I was falling asleep at my desk at work and caught myself doing it once or twice while driving. That was the clincher for me. We talked about what was going to happen (no more milk after bedtime) - it was hard for about a week, but that was it. I am so much happier now to let him nurse when he needs/wants that I can sleep!

· Registered
2,992 Posts
I was also going to suggest nightweaning.

If you are really wanting to wean fully though I did it in short increments. I just picked times during the day when we couldn't nurse and said no.. no.. and no again as many times as I needed during that time. The first one was hard but it got easier as time went on.

Good luck! I enjoyed nursing when DS was a baby but very much prefer parenting a non-nursing toddler.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi - yes, it may be that nightweaning is the way to go...but I kind of feel like it is just time all together.

I gently mentioned last night that pretty soon there would be no more milky...he go so upset and screamed..."No! Don't say no more milky!" Then he laid down and assumed the nursing position, lol. Sigh...

I know it is going to be tough...but it does feel like it is time, at least for me.

If I decide to eliminate all nursing at the same time, would it be best to do night first and then day? Or, just go cold turkey?

Thanks,
Jennifer

· Registered
847 Posts
I would do night first then day. Not only for your son but also for your boobs! It is great that you are talking to him about what will be happening and addressing his concerns. Is there something else he likes that you can offer him instead of nursies? Does he like a cup of water or have some sort of a lovey paired with snuggles that he would take instead? Good luck to you and congrats on nursing so long!!!

· Registered
2,992 Posts
I did day first and then night. I was less bothered by the night nursing so that's why I did it that way. In retrospect I think it was good that way b/c we 'practiced' saying/hearing NO when we were both more rational (during the day). So by the time nighttime came he already knew that all the tantrums in the world weren't going to get him what he wanted. And I know that probably sounds cold to some people but I really really did not want a long and drawn out thing. I even balked at Jay Gordon's plan because it seemed too slow. I really feel that for DS it was easier to just rip the bandaid off, so to speak.

Now the whole weaning process (day and night) took 2 months. So I did take it slow during the day (one session every 1-2 weeks). But I was very very strict during those weeks. If we weren't nursing from x-y time then we weren't. No discussion.

Good luck!

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Cold turkey is a bad idea for both of you.

The best way to go is one nursing session at a time.

-Angela
Yes, this.

And another vote for possibly night weaning. Things got a lot easier for me once I nightweaned my DD. Now she just nurses a few times during the day (maybe once or twice) as well as before her nap and before bedtime. I was having a really hard time with her demanding to nurse like every 10 minutes, but eliminating a few feedings and nightweaning made nursing much more doable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.