Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking in to see what everyone thinks - I could really use some advice, heading as I am into uncharted waters.

We're planning to get DD a wooden train set later this year. I'm just wondering when:

New sibling is due in October. Would it help her/us for her to have an intriguing new "big sister" toy that would giver her something new to play with on a hopefully ongoing basis?

Or....is that not such a big deal (??!) and should we wait for another month until November, which is her Birthday

Or two months, until Christmas?

I'm kind of leading towards the first option, but would appreciate feedback, especially from Mamas with two or more kids.

Thanks!

Kristen

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you should give it to her when/after the baby is born... It's nice for kids to have something tangible to represent a transition in their life. And, you do have the added bonus that it will keep her pretty buisy!!

Just my 2cents...

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming birth of your next little one!

I've always liked the idea of the new babe bringing a present for older siblings (with the added plus that the older sib now has something new to play with while the little sib is nursing). If the train is a "big" gift maybe save that for later and ask your dd what she would like the new babe to bring her?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I agree with PP's-I always send a gift for babe and a gift for the older sibling whenever giving a newborn gift. It helps the big bro/sis feel like they are a part of the special event and feel special too.

Maybe if the train is large enough, you can break it up a bit and start off by giving some of it when the babe is born, on the birthday and at christmas?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:
Maybe if the train is large enough, you can break it up a bit and start off by giving some of it when the babe is born, on the birthday and at christmas?
That's a cool idea! If she likes the train you could always "build" on that theme for other holidays/special events (by adding houses or places for the train to visit, adding new train cars, etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts