Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm completely new to the forum (in fact, I just found it a couple of minutes ago!) but I get the sense that it's an excellent spot where I can ask a question that has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now and that I, quite honestly, don't even know how to approach.

I have a partner who's a couple of years older than me and we have a 6-year-old daughter. He also has a 14-year-old daughter from his previous relationship. For various reasons, one of which being that we don't live in the same country - we're about 750 miles apart - we haven't seen her in at least three years but this year, she showed some interest in rebuilding the relationship she has with her father. He is obviously happy about it; so am I, and so is our daughter who is excited at the prospect of having a "proper" big sister and not just an idea of one; so far, so good.

During the summer holidays, my husband proposed to his daughter to join us for a one-month trip to another country. We live in Europe, so it's not like we're going to the moon; nevertheless, we will not be staying in our family's home country or in the home country of my husband's daughter (which I assume would add some familiarity with the terrain and would make things easier?). She gladly accepted the proposal and is really looking forward to it.

Here's my caveat: like I mentioned, we haven't seen each other in a while and last time we did, she was a pre-teen whereas she is a full-blown teenager now, at least according to her age. I don't really know her all that well; she likes me all right and I think she's a sweet girl, but it's not like we actually had any opportunity to build a proper stepdaughter-stepmother relationship during the few times we spent any time together. And that brings me to my question: what can I do to make our stay abroad as pleasant as possible? More importantly, what can I do to make sure she knows she is welcome and accepted? My partner doesn't actually see my problem because, well, both daughters are his; to him, this is only a family trip we're all looking forward to, and there's nothing more to it. For me, though, it's becoming an increasingly stressful situation that I think about quite a lot, and the holidays won't be here for another six months or so, which means a whole lot of worrying if I don't at least find how to approach the situation.

I would really appreciate and be grateful for any and all inputs and insights you can provide to help me plan a ... well, maybe a "strategy" is a weird word to use in this context, so let's say I would just like to get a little insight into what I can expect so that I'll at least know what I'll be dealing with, if not how to deal with it :grin:

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for sharing! I hope I will need to use the knowledge I got here some days. I don't have a stepdaughter, but I love traveling with my daughter and wife. We were too many places and countries but never had been to a European country, and we wanted our first destination to be Spain. We already have found some good options for ubytování Španělsko. We want to start with Barcelona. In my opinion, it is a very beautiful city, and there are a lot of activities for a tourist. Also, it has great architecture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts