Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some good tips on how to take regular baking recipes and make them egg-free? I use regular cookbooks when I bake but substitute a ton and I'm getting a little tired of my baked goods never really resembling the original product!

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Add Xtra baking soda and a little (tsp) vinegar. A friend shared that with me and it works beautifully

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I find the Ener-G egg replacer works quite well in traditional recipes, although I also sometimes do other things, such as ground flaxseed mixed with water or tofu, depending on the recipe.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
i have had good luck with ener-G egg replacer.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ener-G has a strange taste to it to me. I know a lot of people like it but I much prefer Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. because I don't taste it. Flax and water mixed together works well, too for some recipes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use an egg slzed glop of applesauce, and a pinch of baking soda if it isn't in the recipe already. The applesauce bakes up gummy to add the right consistency, and the acidity in it reacts with the baking soda to make bubbles similar to rising with an egg.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I've been baking egg free for a really long time, and I sometimes still make things with eggs but I've been pretty successful after alot of attempts gone bad. It really depends what you are making. If you have a recipe I can tell you what I'd do. Like when I made pumpkin pie, I use 1/4 cup firm tofu, and one egg replacer egg. For cookies egg replacer works great, and if you don't mind a little whole grain taste the flax is good.<br><br>
For cakes egg replacer and cornstarch is good or use cake flour. If something doesn't call for much fat as in oil/butter and calls for whole eggs, you need to make up for the fat from the yolk with a a tablspoon of oil. 2 tblsp water plus 1 tblsp oil plus 1/4 tsp baking powder works great, or one egg replacer egg plus tblsp of oil.<br><br>
If something calls for one egg in a quickbread/muffin recipe, you can use 1/4 cup applesauce and an extra 1/4 tsp baking powder.<br><br>
I really need my baked goods to resemble the real thing. DS eats eggs but I prefer to not "waste" them just in baked goods because i don't want to use SO many, and DD cannot eat them anyways.<br><br>
I make chia seed chocolate pudding raw with coconut milk but you need a good blender to really blend it enough to see no trace of the seeds. I also do it with vanilla and if anyone asks about the flecks of black i just say it's the vanilla beans LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts