Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wonderful current provider just told me today that she won't be able to keep my 6 month old baby today. Just wondering what other avenues people have taken to find a good provider besides the state child care info line, word of mouth and the newspaper. I'm hoping to find someone as great as this one that will be supportive of breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc.
:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I went with a local web listing service and screened the crap out of providers. My screening questions:
1. Mention baby is TV-free and gauge reaction...anyone who thinks DVDs don't count as TV is disqualified

2. Ask about food and ask them to define "healthy"...anyone who says healthy food is "Kraft Dinner and hot dogs, not McDonald's or anything" is disqualified

3. Ask what they would do with a baby who won't nap...anyone who CIO

4. Mention breastfeeding older baby and gauge reaction
5. Ask for an example of how they solved a discipline problem.

I asked all those questions either on the initial phone call or the home visit and found two DCPs that would have worked. I checked references and asked for specifics to confirm the discipline style and reliability. The one I went with is fantastic!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.