Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dd is 8 months old and only likes to be in her carseat if I'm in the back playing with her. I can certainly understand this, but I'm a SAHM, so during the week if we go out she's back there all alone. It's not like she screams all the time or even every time we get in the car, but I'd love to know if anyone has found some secret trick that magically makes babies love being in the car-- please share! I've tried all different types of music, windows up, windows down, me singing, me talking, me shutting up :p , toys toys toys... I think if I had like a 4 foot boob that could reach the backseat while I'm driving, that might just do the trick, but short of that I'm just plumb out of ideas. I also do try to minimize the "ins and outs"- so that we go somewhere and stay for a good while before getting back in the car.

I just hate feeling like I'm forcing her to do something that she really doesn't want to do-- I don't want her to feel like I'm making her sad on purpose-- but she's SO much happier when we get out and about (and I am, too!), so I think it's pretty important that we don't just stay at home all the time. TIA

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
My aunt's firstborn hated the carseat, and they managed to figure out that it made her carsick if she could see out the windows and see everything moving by. So they covered the seat and made like a makeshift "tent" so she couldn't see out of the windows. After this, she was perfectly happy. If that doesnt seem to fix it, maybe something simple like a mirror placed in front of baby so she can see herself, or a system of mirrors so she can see you while you're driving will comfort her. Sorry i dont have better advice...my DS loves being in the car.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I think it's just one of those things they have to get used to. She loves when you're back there and she knows if she fusses, you listen.
Eventually she'll learn you can't be back there all the time (I wouldn't stay back there even if DH is driving to help her learn). My kids have never had a problem w/ my not being back there and they stay rfing a long time.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
What kind of carseat is she in? I know that at that age there are a few still in infant seats- if so, switching to a convertible might help. Otherwise, how padded is her seat? Some of them seem REALLY hard to me.

-Angela

·
Registered
765 Posts
My daughter is 6 months and I've tried everything. Nothing works and it is dreadful going out with her. I can totally sympathize with you. My first son disliked the carseat until 6 months and then outgrew that phase. Second son had no problems. DD is the worst.
Just remember it is for her safety and it will someday pass.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a new mom i love this site to get advice and ideas from all these wonderful moms....but finally something i can give advice on. My dd hated the car seat until last week. she's 3mos. i took a break for about 2 weeks. then i took head shots of me, dh,and even our dog. blew them up to 8x10 and put them on the back seat for her to look at. i then took 2 soft blocks and hung them from the ceiling with string. If she fusses i start to play the static on the radio. And always drive with the window open. i started with short 10-15min rides, then gradually got longer. so far so good. she even fell asleep in the car the other day! HTH!

·
Registered
360 Posts
We got one of these mirrors for Christmas and it has been wonderful. She seems to enjoy looking at herself and I can see her. Also at night when she really doesn't like to be in the car, it lights up and will usually keep her content until she falls asleep.

BTW, I thought about putting pictures up on the ceiling of the car or something.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just wanted to THANK the poster that noted about blocking off the view outside because baby might be getting carsick! I tried everything, toys, mirror, sitting in the back,everything. I took the hood shade thing and cranked it over her so that it blocks the window views and so far, three successful car trips without major meltdowns! She actually fell asleep twice!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! Dd is 23 lbs at 8 months-- so she's been in the convertible seat for quite some time-- it's an Evenflo Triumph and fairly well-padded. I like the idea of the mirror and the pictures (think I'll tru the pics first since that's free-lol) I'll report back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts