Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been really impressed lately by some of the provax posters on then main board really keeping the debate calm and posting factually their viewpoints, and the reasons they arrived at them in support of vaccinating.

At the same time we've had quite a lot of new provax members join and post their views and be a bit surprised by the reactions they get. I know I've done that too in the past (and probably will continue to do so), when something I didn't even realize would be considered offensive caused a big (often nasty) fight.

So anyway, I thought it might help to have a thread to share our collected wisdom and tips for debating the provax side calmly and factually on MDC.

I'm sure we had such a thread before - maybe it got left behind in Delayed and Selective when this sub board got split off. I'll try to find and link it.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If I'm being treated respectfully, a difference of perception or opinion is not too difficult to handle. Stick to the facts or try to make logical appeals.

Some behaviors are more likely to provoke me. I usually take a break and vent to my spouse :D
I constantly have to edit out or remove statements that are too assuming about the other person's intentions. That is one thing that I really dislike when people do it to me. We can only get a very limited view of the person we're debating with, so it's best to be charitable in our assumptions.

I can get snarky at times but I realize that is not helpful so I try not to do it too often. Snark is pretty self-serving. Instead, I just remind myself that I don't have to respond to every question or provocation. If I can give a clear, respectful response then I try to, if I have the time.http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumping up this thread as I was reminded of it elsewhere. Let's keep sharing tips on how to stay calm and respectful. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have to confess I'm having a hard time with this because nothing I've posted in the last week or so was meant to be snarky and so I'm being a bit blindsided by the accusations. I am going to try to remember that things are sometimes taken personally when they aren't meant to be...that's really my biggest stumbling block..and try to caveat statements a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts