Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to EC. Never tried it, but going to with my third child due in May. I'm comfortable enough with the mechanics of learning something new at home. My daughters are 2 and 4 so I am flexible with my home time. But we are usually on the go with trips to the park, play dates. preschool, etc.

Does anyone have tips for how to practice EC when outside/in public? I'm most drawn to EC as an environmentally friendly choice, so my hope is to not purchase any accessories esp. Plastic ones (or at least, as few as possible :) )

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh my, there are so many options, I am sure many people will chime in, but off the top the ones I found most useful (and I feel the same way you do about the environmental aspects):

Where you can, use the outdoors (if dogs can do it, so can children) - my child peed near trees, on highway sides, in the deep grass on a hike, etc.... - this doesn't have to be regular, but it is an okay option - just dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way (bury or take your solids with you).

Little mobile potties - best thing ever made - the one piece IKEA ones (cheap!!) are great - easy to transport in the car, easy to buy 4 of them, even for around the house in each room, etc. I used the same one for road trips and going to places around town when needed, and it just "wiped clean". I would dump the pee somewhere safe and poop - well, back to safe disposal above! My child when young would sit on these ON the car seat, then later on the (actual) car seat, and then later, on the road on the side of the road.... or a park.

Use wool covers to line your car seats. I used a variety of cloth nappies, other reusable washables, and as my child got a bit older (by first birthday) undies with an extra layer inside them or lined washable undies (lots of good brands out there). The wool dries easily, absorbs quickly and fully, and leave zero scent. There are only required to be rinsed and washed occasionally, and, like wool nappy covers, they are so user and enviro friendly. They also work on top of bed liners in bed or on the floor when babies are laying naked on their back kicking away while you are busy...

There are lots of other things, and of course the whole cloth diaper world (that is good to have as back up while travelling and ECing, even if you are 100% ECing). Biggest thing is: give lots of opportunities. You will be surprised after using diapers - even cloth - how easy it is to forget that baby probably ALREADY needs to pee again (at least every hour one they are several months, and more frequently as infants). The misses I had were ALWAYS my fault. :)

Have fun! The best part of having siblings those ages is that they will want to partake and help you - I bet! You may find some great role modelling opportunities and the 2 year old (if not potty trained yet) may actually move long more quickly due to the sibling being ECd. It is fun to partake in as a child, imo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the info, and the easy ideas. Just researching EC has been overwhelming with the many options out there. Of course, until baby arrives and lets me know what his temperament is, I can only guess what EC'ing will be like.

Is nighttime harder with boys? This will be my first boy, and to be honest I have had a few nightmares about him peeing all over the bedroom at night if sleeping naked. lol. I really don't know what to expect, as I'm sure this comment indicates. In your experience, is nighttime EC less disruptive to baby's sleep than a diaper change?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Personally, I used diapers at night until the nighttime signals were 100% clear. That was with my 7 year old though and only until about 4 months old so I can't remember very clearly. This little guy doesn't seem to pee in his sleep at night so I tend to just offer when he wakes up--but still use a diaper. Actually, sometimes I use taking him to the potty as the way to wake him up for a feed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My advice is to read and think, and be ready for anything! Don't be surprised if your kiddos pick up on pee and poop signals for you!

My boy was WAY different than my daughter, really no way to prepare for that!! :) Think about easy ways to give yourself a bit of light at night, because you may need to see better for aiming into a potty. I mostly offered the potty whenever they woke to nurse, and pretty quickly figured out how to sit up, nurse and potty at the same time, then once they had peed, could lie back down and nurse while dozing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did nighttime ECing as soon as I could, but wasn't fussed if peeing happened in the bed also. I used lined covers under baby in the bed (we bed shared), but since I was close I usually sensed the pre=waking phase of sleep (that quickly leads to peeing) and could pick up baby and go straight to the little potty sitting next to the bed on the floor. Baby never woke up. But baby often decided to have a bit of milk while sleeping and peeing on the potty - haha, those were the days!! I also tried to always put baby on the potty during the night whenever I awoke, just as with the daytime opportunities being offered. If you offer at night, then chances are you may get through the night before the next pee early the next morning, so may as well get it over with when you are already awake! I think that the worry of a male child "peeing everywhere" is not a huge worry, though it can happen. Ways to get around it could be a little cover blanket/sheet (or loose clothing laid over baby's pelvic area, so that there is no spraying during the night. :) Or, baby can just "wear" a loose cloth diaper (easy to remove) that you quickly remove when you EC during the night and then put back on. My dc always slept naked, so it was fairly easy to night EC.

ETA: for us, nighttime ECing was less disruptive than a diaper change would have been. Diaper changes led to higher likelihood of baby waking than just a quick potty break while mostly still asleep, in my experience. Of course, some babies could be different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts